How can we see the ISS at 200 miles away with the naked eye?

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter TruthSeeker777
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eye Iss
In summary: ISS reflects light from the sun, like the moon.In summary, the International Space Station (ISS) can be seen from Earth due to its high contrast against the background, not because of its angular resolution. Its solar panels reflect direct, unfiltered starlight, making it appear brighter than any aircraft in the sky. Distant stars are also visible to astronauts in space, proving that the angular resolution of the eye does not limit visibility. Additionally, the ISS is visible as a dot, not its full shape, due to the size and distance of the object.
DaveC426913 said:
Other than wobbling it back and forth - how might one do that with an inert hand-held mirror?
Cover it with your hand, for example. But I think it's much more common to flash by tilting.

BTW, I hope everybody knows how to flash "S-O-S" in Morse code. If you don't know any other Morse Code symbols, you at least need to know "S" and "O", IMO... :wink:

Astronomy news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
I think we've established that the visibility of stars pretty much resolve any doubt.
Visibility yes but not distance. I'd be weary of using distance of objects so far away that we can't really verify empirically.

• Skeptical
Likes malawi_glenn
TruthSeeker777 said:
Visibility yes but not distance
How far is it to Vega?

russ_watters said:
Note again that the dynamic range of our eyes is very wide. A camera taking a photo of a brightly lit astronaut won't capture the dim stars.
what about pictures of the full moon and stars?

berkeman said:
Cover it with your hand, for example. But I think it's much more common to flash by tilting.
Good point.

berkeman said:
BTW, I hope everybody knows how to flash "S-O-S" in Morse code. If you don't know any other Morse Code symbols, you at least need to know "S" and "O", IMO... :wink:
Other very good distress signals (without being exhaustive) to keep in your mind's back pocket:
- upside-down sail, flag or burgee
- three of anything: three shots, three whistle blasts, three flashes of a light mirror, three fires
- more primitively: three stacked logs, three arranged rocks, three of anything you can get your hands on.

TruthSeeker777 said:
A camera can be set however it suits the photographer. To capture stars, the full moon will likely be blown out, but you can get them both in the same shot. The nuances of what you want and what you get might best be left to a new thread.

Likes russ_watters
malawi_glenn said:
How far is it to Vega?
Google is your friend. (Or was that a rhetorical question?)

DaveC426913 said:
Google is your friend. (Or was that a rhetorical question?)
The truthseeker disqualified stars as objects here because we do not know that they are distant. So I want to know how far it is to Vega from here.

(Vega is my second fav star, after Helios)

Likes russ_watters
TruthSeeker777 said:
Visibility yes but not distance. I'd be weary of using distance of objects so far away that we can't really verify empirically.
What makes you think we can't verify their distances empirically?

The parallax method can tell us the distances to nearby stars with nothing more than the geometry of Earth's orbit and six months of waiting time.

Likes russ_watters
malawi_glenn said:
The truthseeker disqualified stars as objects here because we do not know that they are distant. So I want to know how far it is to Vega from here.
Then Google is your friend.

DaveC426913 said:
Then Google is your friend.
I rather let truthseeker reply. For the reasons I gave.

Likes russ_watters
A quick check suggests parallax methods can work adequately out to as far as 100 to 300 light years. That covers hundreds of thousands of local stars.

DaveC426913 said:
Other than wobbling it back and forth - how might one do that with an inert hand-held mirror?
I see a wobble as an unsteady angular variation.
berkeman said:
I would momentarily hide the target behind my outstretched hand. That way, I have quick and accurate control of the target illumination, without moving the mirror.

DaveC426913 said:
A quick check suggests parallax methods can work adequately out to as far as 100 to 300 light years. That covers hundreds of thousands of local stars.
Gaia can reach further
1658951195035.png

malawi_glenn said:
Gaia can reach further
Are Gaia's findings an empirical source of observation? I mean are its results measured using parallax (geometry)? Or do its results rely on our understanding of astrophysics?

The OP wanted to trust direct empirical observation.

Update:
"These measurements will help determine the astrometric parameters of stars: two corresponding to the angular position of a given star on the sky, two for the derivatives of the star's position over time (motion) and lastly, the star's parallax from which distance can be calculated."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia_( spacecraft )#Measurement_principles

Well, apparently they are.

TruthSeeker777 said:
Generally they are composites. You can't easily do both with one shot.

russ_watters said:
Generally they are composites. You can't do both with one shot.
To be pedantic, you can. The OP did not seem to be too concerned about the aesthetics of the result (i.e. a blown out Moon is still serviceably visible for his purposes).

DaveC426913 said:
Is Gaia an empirical source of observation?

The OP wanted to trust direct observation (presumably as opposed to derivation based on various theories that are still being tweaked.)
It measures parallax and motion of stars.

If you just want to use your senses, you can not do parallax accurately up to 300 lightyears.

DaveC426913 said:
To be pedantic, you can. The OP did not seem to be too concerned about the aesthetics of the result (i.e. a blown out Moon is still quite visible).
Sigh, fine. I added a qualifier.

DaveC426913 said:
What makes you think we can't verify their distances empirically?

The parallax method can tell us the distances to nearby stars with nothing more than the geometry of Earth's orbit and six months of waiting time.
It depends on what relative distances you set for the objects around what you are trying to triangulate? It assumes you know the distance to an object X and you measure the angular drift in reference to that object Y compared to the other you know about X ? So what is the reference object ?

malawi_glenn said:
If you just want to use your senses, you can not do parallax accurately up to 300 lightyears.
Sure, that's not the point.

The OP wants to rely on empirical evidence. By that I presume he means "don't rely on our theories of stellar distance calculation".

Telescopes provide the requested empirical observation. We see the parallax.

DaveC426913 said:
By that I presume he means "don't rely on our theories of stellar distance calculation".
Google is your friend here.

Two of my teachers in astrophysics were (are) involved in the Gaia-project.

TruthSeeker777 said:
It depends on what relative distances you set for the objects around what you are trying to triangulate? It assumes you know the distance to an object X and you measure the angular drift in reference to that object Y compared to the other you know about X ? So what is the reference object ?
You want a crash course in parallax method?

Likes DaveC426913
malawi_glenn said:
Google is your friend here.

Two of my teachers in astrophysics were (are) involved in the Gaia-project.
So what? The OP doesn't want to rely on astrophysical theory. We can accommodate that by simply using telescope observation. What is there to Google? (That is a rhetorical question.)

DaveC426913 said:
So what?
If you want to know how Gaia works, you can google it.

TruthSeeker777 said:
It is straight up geometry.
We know Earth's orbital diameter.
We can treat the background of stars as residing at infinity. We don't have to know how far away any given reference star is - we only need to know that, collectively, they are effectively at infinity. (This can be elaborated on, if need be.)

malawi_glenn said:
If you want to know how Gaia works, you can google it.
Please see post 50.

Likes malawi_glenn
DaveC426913 said:
Please see post 50.
Ah cool, I did not see that!

Likes hutchphd and DaveC426913
DaveC426913 said:
It is straight up geometry.
We know Earth's orbital diameter.
We can treat the background of stars as residing at infinity. We don't have to know how far away any given reference star is - we only need to know that, collectively, they are effectively at infinity. (This can be elaborated on, if need be.)
What if we remove that infinity assumption of stars distance? What is that based upon?

TruthSeeker777 said:
What if we remove that infinity assumption of stars distance? What is that based upon?
Where is the evidence the sun is a star?

• Haha
Likes malawi_glenn
TruthSeeker777 said:
That is where a source of error in the method lies.
But you can figure out which stars are static for all pratical purposes
https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/HXuWest5ghEazEfJKpjQKV-1200-80.gif
That "movie" took some years to produce. Look how some stars travels a lot, both due to parallax and due to intrinsic motion. Whearas some are static given in this resolution.

Likes DaveC426913
TruthSeeker777 said:
What?

Methinks them's trollin' words.

• Love
  • Haha
Likes hutchphd, russ_watters and malawi_glenn
TruthSeeker777 said:
Where is the evidence that the stars are like our sun?

Likes russ_watters
Baluncore said:
Where is the evidence that the stars are like our sun?
Where is the evidence that the sun exists?!

malawi_glenn said:
Where is the evidence that the sun exists?!
Would I need to exist to answer that question?

• Haha
Likes malawi_glenn