1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can we show that the Hamming distance

1. Nov 10, 2008 #1
    Hi,

can anybody help me to show that the Hamming disatance d(x,y) is invarian to a shift of both x and y i.e d(x+z, y+z)=d(x,y)

Thanks a lot

Lenti

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2008 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Please include the formula for Hamming distance.

4. Nov 10, 2008 #3
    The Hamming distance of two length-N words x, y, denoted as d(x,y), is defined as the number of components (symbols9 of x and y tha are different.

we can writte as;

d(x,y)=[tex]\sum[/tex]I{x[tex]\neq[/tex]y}

thanks a lot

5. Nov 10, 2008 #4

Mark44

Your summation doesn't make much sense to me. What does I in this summation mean?
    [tex]\sum I \{x \neq y\}[/tex]

Also, it would help to give an example. For example, is d("eat", "eats") = 1?

6. Nov 10, 2008 #5
    as an example;

consider two binary words x=(1010110) and y=(1001010)

the hamming distance between the binary words is d(x,y)=3

because they change in 3 bits.

7. Nov 10, 2008 #6

Mark44

How about my question about the summation?

8. Nov 10, 2008 #7

Mark44

Assuming that z is another string of bits, it's intuitively obvious that if d(x, y) = n, say, then creating two longer strings x + z and y + z will not change the number of bits that are different. IOW d(x + z, y + z) = n as well.

To formalize this, I would probably need the formula for Hamming distance, which you've provided, but I would also need to understand what this formula means, which I don't.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?