How Can You Design an Adiabatic and Reversible Thermodynamic System?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
decerto
Messages
84
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


Design an explicit system which does the following: It goes adiabatically and reversibly from state A to B. Then it returns from state B to state A probably irreversibly and receiving some heat from the outside world on the way. It can't give out heat.

Homework Equations


[itex]PV^{\gamma}=c[/itex] for an adiabatic process
[itex]PV=c[/itex] for an isothermal process

The Attempt at a Solution


[/B]
I attempted to draw various 3 step PV diagrams using isobaric and isochoric steps but they all gave out heat. The only way I can think of doing this is if the adiabatic process is the same as an isothermal process i.e
[itex]PV^{\gamma}=PV[/itex]
[itex]\gamma=1[/itex]
[itex]C_p=C_v[/itex]

But this can't be true for an ideal gas so I have no idea.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
decerto said:
I attempted to draw various 3 step PV diagrams using isobaric and isochoric steps but they all gave out heat.
Doesn't that depend on the direction of the process?
 
DrClaude said:
Doesn't that depend on the direction of the process?

Yes but amn't I forced into a direction that gives out heat after an adiabatic process then a process which takes in heat if I want to get back to the start?
 
decerto said:
Yes but amn't I forced into a direction that gives out heat after an adiabatic process then a process which takes in heat if I want to get back to the start?
I haven't worked out the details, but if your adiabatic process is an expansion, can't you go back to state A without any heat leaving the system?