How can you prove that a Cartesian product of compact sets is compact?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 9K views
AxiomOfChoice
Messages
531
Reaction score
1
I'm talking about [itex]E \times F[/itex], where [itex]E,F \subseteq \mathbb{R}^d[/itex]. If you know [itex]E[/itex] and [itex]F[/itex] are compact, you know they're both closed and bounded. But how do you define "boundedness" - or "closed", for that matter - for a Cartesian product of subsets of Euclidean [itex]d[/itex]-space?

The only idea I've had is viewing [itex]E\times F[/itex] as a subset of [itex]\mathbb{R}^{2d}[/itex]. If this is a legitimate thing to do, boundedness is certainly preserved. Also, since [itex]E[/itex] and [itex]F[/itex] were both closed, any sequence of points in [itex]E\times F[/itex] that converges necessarily converges to a point [itex](x,y) = (x_1,x_2,\ldots,x_d,y_1,y_2,\ldots,y_d)[/itex]. Does this look right?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
AxiomOfChoice said:
I'm talking about [itex]E \times F[/itex], where [itex]E,F \subseteq \mathbb{R}^d[/itex]. If you know [itex]E[/itex] and [itex]F[/itex] are compact, you know they're both closed and bounded. But how do you define "boundedness" - or "closed", for that matter - for a Cartesian product of subsets of Euclidean [itex]d[/itex]-space?

The only idea I've had is viewing [itex]E\times F[/itex] as a subset of [itex]\mathbb{R}^{2d}[/itex]. If this is a legitimate thing to do, boundedness is certainly preserved. Also, since [itex]E[/itex] and [itex]F[/itex] were both closed, any sequence of points in [itex]E\times F[/itex] that converges necessarily converges to a point [itex](x,y) = (x_1,x_2,\ldots,x_d,y_1,y_2,\ldots,y_d)[/itex]. Does this look right?

This is avoiding your question a little but if you think of compact to mean that every open cover has a finite sub-cover then one should be able to argue this from inverse images of the projection maps onto the two factors E and F.

But I think you can use the continuity of the projections to do it the close and bounded way as well.
 
You are quite right. If [itex]E, F \subset \mathbb{R}^d[/itex], then [itex]E \times F \subset \mathbb{R}^{2d}[/itex] .