What is the polar form of a complex number raised to a fractional power?

• Thread starter shemer77
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diff eq
In summary: For each value of \log(a) you choose, you may get a different value of a^z.In summary, the conversation discusses finding values for ln(e) and (-1)^i, finding the real and imaginary parts of e^(1/z), and rewriting (√(z))^(1/n) in polar form. It is important to note that exponential and logarithmic functions are not one-to-one and therefore may have multiple solutions.
shemer77

Homework Statement

I have some trouble understanding some of my math homework maybe somebody can help me out?

1) find all the values of
ln(e)
(-1)^i

I know that i am going to have to use eulers formula in some way i believe but I am not really sure what the question is asking, what does it mean all the values?

2)let z= x+iy, where both x and y are real. find the real and imaginary parts for e^(1/z).
i figure i would have e^(1/x+iy) but where do i go from there?

3) rewrite in the polar form
(√(z))^(1/n), now this i don't really understand. I can really easily change something like 4 +6i to polar form but this i don't get.

Physics news on Phys.org
When things say all values they generally mean the 'general solution'
Like [itex]ArcCos(1)=2n \pi [/itex]

For part two, you could try multiplying 1/z by 1 in such a way that you end up with a real denominator (you should know how to do this)

For part three you just need to know about how exponents work, what happens when you take the square root of a^x, what happens when you take the nth power of a^x?

still don't really understand part 1,

thanks i got part 2, was just a stupid mistake on my part
and for part 3 i know how exponents work in the sense that i am taking the nth root of z but how does one convert that to a polar form.

The exponential function is periodic, with period [itex]2\pi i[/itex] (that is, [itex]e^z=e^{z+2\pi i}[/itex] for every [itex]z\in\mathbb{C}[/itex]), and the logarithm is defined as the inverse of the exponential. Since the exponential is not one-to-one, the logarithm of a number is not uniquely determined; it's not an actual function on [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex]. The best you can do to find [itex]\log(z)[/itex] is to give a set of complex numbers (differing by integer multiples of [itex]2\pi i[/itex]) whose exponential is [itex]z[/itex].

Likewise, since [itex]a^z[/itex] is defined as [itex]e^{z\log(a)}[/itex], it is also multivalued.

Related to What is the polar form of a complex number raised to a fractional power?

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that expresses the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model various physical and natural phenomena, such as population growth, motion, and heat transfer.

2. What are the basic types of differential equations?

The basic types of differential equations include ordinary differential equations (ODEs) and partial differential equations (PDEs). ODEs involve only one independent variable, while PDEs involve multiple independent variables. Additionally, ODEs can be further classified as first-order or higher-order equations.

3. How do I solve a differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and complexity. Some common techniques include separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. It is important to first identify the type of differential equation and then choose an appropriate method for solving it.

4. What is the role of initial conditions in solving a differential equation?

Differential equations typically require initial conditions, which are values of the function and its derivatives at a specific point. These initial conditions are used to determine the particular solution to the differential equation, as there may be an infinite number of solutions that satisfy the equation.

5. How are differential equations used in real-world applications?

Differential equations are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and biology, to model and predict real-world phenomena. For example, they can be used to predict the growth of a population over time, the trajectory of a rocket, or the spread of a disease. They are also used in control systems and optimization problems.