How Can You Tell if Your Glasses Have High-Index Lenses?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter driedupfish
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Lens Regular
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
driedupfish
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
Recently, I purchased a pair of glasses from a privately owned optic store. I specifically asked for hi-index lens (1.56 or 1.60, I am not sure). The lens I got, however, is kind of thick (around 5 mm thick on the edges).My eye -sight is poor though, -5.00 sphere, -1.25 cylinder on the worst eye. Are there ways to tell if the lens is high-index or just plain regular lens, besides the thickness? Also, there are "rings" on the edge when I look parallel to the surface of the lens.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
one reason the lens could be thicker than you expect is if the front surface is flat- some plastic lenses only have one curved surface. This increases the thickness.

I was not able to easily find any technical information about "high index" eyeglass material. I found a few ads claiming n =1.70 or 1.74, but without quantitiatvie information it's hard to separate fact from fantasy.