How can you use a belt transect to record changes in species distribution?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Monster92
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Belt Distribution
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Monster92
Messages
40
Reaction score
0
I need to study the measurement of population size of density. However, I can't find information on this that is understandable. Has anyone got any ideas?





The Attempt at a Solution


I already know they consist of a line with black marks to indicate something
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you need to know the different methods which you measure population density, or do you need help with the factors that affect population density?

I can probably help ya, just need to be a bit more specific. PM me if I don't respond back right away.
 
Here's what I've been given.

Measurement of Population size and Density

1. Methods used for measurement of populations

2. Use of abundance scales and their limitations

3. Use of belt transects to record changes in species distribution.

Number 3 is the task I'm stuck on. Sadly there was no extra information given. What's worse is that the official textbook seems to not address the task either.

THank you
 
Sorry, I didn't catch the title when I originally read this somehow. A belt transect is basically an extended version of a quadrant, which used to measure population density and distribution. Usually a rope is placed from point-A to point-B and a specific distance is set on each side (or some use two ropes) to account for the area. The organism(s) of interest can then be counted if they fall within the parameters and density can be calculated. Sometimes they also measure the distance of each organism from a point of interest as well. In this way they can analyze their distribution. Usually this technique is used to count larger organisms, a lot of the time for trees and vegetation. I'm sure it can be used in both terrestrial and aquatic applications though.

If the question is asking changes in species distribution.. I would also assume that they are either talking about the distribution from a particular point of interest, or change over time. I'm not quite sure. I don't think they would mark you off if you addressed both.