How Close Can You Get to 80% of the Average Guess?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Physics_wiz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
32 replies · 4K views
Physics_wiz
Messages
227
Reaction score
0
Ok here are the rules:
Guess a number (integer) between 0 and 100. The number closest to 80% of the average of all the numbers guessed by the players wins :biggrin:.

Example:
Say the numbers I got are: 10, 50, 60, 80, and 25. The average is 45 and 80% of the average is 36 so 25 would win since it's the closest to 36.

The game will keep running for about 1 day depending on how many numbers I get. Please don't post numbers as replies, just send me a PM with your number.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're not even close, cyrus.
I'm winning this.
 
I will be nice and go last. Everybody just post your numbers :smile:
 
mattmns said:
I will be nice and go last. Everybody just post your numbers :smile:

Everyone will post the numbers they want you to see so you take 80% of the average and decide on a number that will skew the average in their favor!
 
You can guess random numbers if you want, but if you want to win you should try to randomly guess a number that's as close to 80% of the average of all the numbers as possible :wink:.
 
do we have any numbers so far? If no, I rather wait. I like to be last in doing things,
 
I already opted to go last, so feel free to post your number :biggrin:
 
Physics_wiz said:
I got 5 numbers so far.

And mine is going to win :-p

~H
 
I've just sent my magic number.

mattmns said:
I already opted to go last, so feel free to post your number :biggrin:

OK, feel free to go last, certainly you'll benefit :-p
(at first, I didn't notice that we have to pm physisc_wiz)
 
Any last guesses before I post the results? I only got 9 numbers so far.
 
Ok here are the numbers I got:
10
40
17
29
50
23
32
32
37

The average was 30 and 80% of the average = 24.

mattmns won with his guess of 23, congratulations :biggrin:.

If you want to tell us how you rationalized your number, go right ahead. We can also play another round if people are interested. It'll be interesting to see how the results of this round affect the next round.
 
Last edited:
Uh, I was so close... :)
Congratatulalations Mattmns!
 
Sweet! What do I win? :biggrin:

I made the guess thinking there would be a lot of people guessing low, and then some people guessing higher (40+), so I figured 23 seemed reasonable. However, it seems like I was wrong, but still won :smile:
 
mattmns said:
Sweet! What do I win? :biggrin:
You win the respect of fellow PF'ers :approve:

So, another round?
 
Physics_wiz said:
You win the respect of fellow PF'ers :approve:

So, another round?

Sure, but 80% won't work the same way again. How about an unknown n% and you don't tell us what the percent is until everyone submits his or her number.
Then, a winner becomes random :)
 
heartless said:
Sure, but 80% won't work the same way again. How about an unknown n% and you don't tell us what the percent is until everyone submits his or her number.
Then, a winner becomes random :)

sweet! I got a yes. Ok another round. Same rules. The most interesting thing about this game is to see how the results change with the same rules and previous results posted! :biggrin:

Don't forget to PM me the number, don't post it as a reply please.
 
wait, wait, wait for me,
Let's add one more thing, how about a RNG, generating a random rational percent between 0 and 100? Then Physics_wiz can't be bribed by mattmns again :biggrin:
 
Yep, I cheated! Did you see that thread about the most common passwords? Well, Physics_wiz's password for PF is 'password' :smile:

I am for another round :approve:

This time let's make it interesting :biggrin:
 
I'm taking numbers with PMs until tomorrow. Send your numbers!
 
Results

Here are the numbers I got for the second round:
38
15
26
73
42

The average was 38.8, 80% of the average = 31.04

franznietzsche won with his guess of 26, congratulations :biggrin:

I have to say that I'm surprised the average moved up instead of down, but this could just mean that the number of players wasn't enough or the rules weren't very clear. Anyways, no more rounds...thanks for participating though :biggrin:.
 
Yeah I thought everyone would go about 10 lower or so, so I went 8 lower than my previous number and chose 15. I was way off, you guys aren't that predictable :smile:

Congrats Franz!
 
Last edited: