Can Satellites Orbit Within Earth's Atmosphere and How Close Can They Get?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Mateo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Orbit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Mateo
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi, was just wondering if gravitational orbit be achieved inside the Earth's atmosphere. Or how close a satellite can be to the ground?

Additionally, would the Death Star have been completely covered in solar panels?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Which part of the atmosphere are you referring to? And no, if I'm correct, the Death Star had a fusion reactor.
 
Orbit can be falling when tangential velocity can path beyond horizon when vertical is less than escape velocity. a sufficiently såeedy satellite could orbit the Earth within the atmosphere, but friction would be a huge practical problem.
 
I suppose I would like to know if something can orbit between the Mesosphere and the Exosphere without using rockets.
Didn't think of friction- that is problematic.
 
Mateo said:
I suppose I would like to know if something can orbit between the Mesosphere and the Exosphere without using rockets.
Didn't think of friction- that is problematic.
Aerodynamics is too.