How Close Will Two High-Speed Charged Particles Get?

• Thread starter Bradsteeves
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves calculating the minimum separation of two particles with an initial velocity of 3.0 X 10^6 m/s and a mass of 6.6 X 10^-27 kg, assuming no deflection from their original path. The equation used is Fe = kq1q2/r^2 and the phrase "separated by an enormous distance" may affect a term in the energy equation. Further calculations are needed to determine the final answer.
Bradsteeves

Homework Statement

Two particles, separated by an enormous distance, approach each other. Each has an initial speed of 3.0 X 10^6 m/s. Calculate their minimum separation, assuming no deflection from their original path. The mass of a particle is 6.6 X 10^-27 kg.

Particle charge = 3.2 X 10^-19 C

Given:
V = 3.0 X 10^6m/s
mass of particle = 6.6 X 10^-27 kg
r = ?

Homework Equations

E = Eprime
Fe = kq1q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

EE + EK = EEprime + EKprime
Kq1q2/r + 1/2 mv^2 = Kq1q2/r + 1/2m(vprime)^2

Dont know where to go from there

Physics news on Phys.org
How does the phrase "separated by an enormous distance" affect a term in the energy equation?

When you plug in numbers to your equation, what do you get? (I noticed you combined the kinetic energy of both particles into one term on each side, so you'll have to adjust the mass to deal with that.)

Hello, based on the information provided, we can use the equation for electrostatic force (Fe = kq1q2/r^2) to solve for the minimum separation between the two particles. However, since we are assuming no deflection from their original path, we can also use the conservation of energy equation (EE + EK = EEprime + EKprime) to solve for the minimum separation.

To do this, we first need to find the kinetic energy (EK) of the particles. We can use the formula EK = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the particle and v is its initial speed. Plugging in the given values, we get EK = 1/2(6.6 X 10^-27 kg)(3.0 X 10^6 m/s)^2 = 2.97 X 10^-11 J.

Next, we can use the equation for electrostatic force (Fe = kq1q2/r^2) to solve for the minimum separation (r). We can rearrange the equation to get r = √(kq1q2/Fe), where k is the Coulomb's constant (9 X 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and Fe is the electrostatic force between them.

Plugging in the given values, we get r = √[(9 X 10^9 Nm^2/C^2)(3.2 X 10^-19 C)^2/(2.97 X 10^-11 J)] = 3.06 X 10^-12 m.

Therefore, the minimum separation between the two particles is approximately 3.06 X 10^-12 m. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is the purpose of "Help on one more question"?

The purpose of "Help on one more question" can vary depending on the context, but generally it refers to seeking assistance or clarification on a particular question or problem.

How do I ask for help on one more question?

To ask for help on one more question, you can reach out to a teacher, mentor, colleague, or online community. Be specific about the question and provide any relevant information or background to help others understand the problem.

Is it okay to ask for help on one more question?

Yes, it is perfectly okay to ask for help on one more question. In fact, seeking help and collaborating with others is an important part of the scientific process.

Can I get help on one more question even if I'm not a scientist?

Of course! Seeking help on one more question is not limited to scientists. Anyone can ask for assistance or clarification on a question or problem.

What should I do if I can't find help on one more question?

If you are unable to find help on one more question, you can try reaching out to a different source or approaching the problem from a different angle. You can also try breaking the question down into smaller parts and seeking help on each individual part.