How come my rechargeable battery self discharges so fast?

In summary: The self-discharge is 5–20% on the first day and stabilizes around 0.5–4% per day at room temperature. But at 45 °C it is approximately three times as high.
grasscut
Hi, I am working on a piezoelectric energy harvesting project. i was able to use my piezoelectric to charge up my AA NI MH battery 1300mAH from 0.93V to 1.201V. However, once i removed the battery from the battery holder, the cell voltage starts to drop without being connected to any load.
Anyone know what might be the reason to this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Last edited:
That translates to 32% per day if I did the calculation right. I suspect that your battery is damaged. NiMh batteries are easy to damage, especially if they are allowed to get too hot during charging.

Nickel Cadmium batteries have lower self discharge rates than NiMh. Most solar-powered garden lights use Nickel Cadmium batteries.

anorlunda said:
That translates to 32% per day if I did the calculation right. I suspect that your battery is damaged. NiMh batteries are easy to damage, especially if they are allowed to get too hot during charging.

Nickel Cadmium batteries have lower self discharge rates than NiMh. Most solar-powered garden lights use Nickel Cadmium batteries.

I didnt use the battery much other than discharging it with a torchlight. i was surprised too when i removed the NiMH battery out of the battery holder and realized the battery are already starting to discharge. So let say i have a NiMh that is working fine, when i charged it up to 1.2V, it shouldn't drop within few mins after its been removed from the holder right?

grasscut said:
t shouldn't drop within few mins after its been removed from the holder right?

Right. At least not by that much.

Cell voltage isn't really a good indication of how full a NiMH cell is. Just because the voltage was 1.2V doesn't necessarily mean it was fully charged.

Best way is to start with it discharged (to say 1V) then measure the charge current. Multiply by time to get the number of mAH that you have put into it. Calculate how full it should be as a percentage of it's nominal capacity. The charging process is typically only 80% efficient.

Likewise if you want to know how much is in a battery the best way is to set it up on a load and measure how much you can take out until the voltage falls to 1V.

Take a look at this charge/discharge curve..

http://www.cobasys.com/pdf/tutorial/InsideNimhBattery/inside_nimh_battery_technology_files/image018.gif

Work out how full the cell is in % when it reaches 1.2V on the charge curve. Then look up that % on the discharge curve to see what voltage it might be when taken off charge.

grasscut said:
, I am working on a piezoelectric energy harvesting project.
What source is the energy you're collecting?

I suspect you are not fully charging the battery. You should read about NiMH charging. It is essentially a constant current process.

What current are you charging at? Note that when you are fully charged, the above chart shows 1.4V even when discharging.

NascentOxygen said:
What source is the energy you're collecting?
Im using vibrational energy to convert it to electrical energy via piezo
meBigGuy said:
I suspect you are not fully charging the battery. You should read about NiMH charging. It is essentially a constant current process.

What current are you charging at? Note that when you are fully charged, the above chart shows 1.4V even when discharging.
Thank you guys for the reply! Sorry for not being clear. Anyway, it is correct that 1.2V that i obtained is not fully charged. Its assume to be 90% charged. Because to detect whether the battery is fully charged, which can be done by sensing of temperature within the cell and voltage dip, additonal controller will need to be implemented which will dissipate power from the energy harvesting and its not ideal. Thus, i assume the battery to be fully charged when it reaches 1.2V of it cell voltage. As for current used to charged the battery, i wasnt able to get reading when i used a multimeter to measure the current. I am not sure why either. I am not quite sure what is wrong with the battery asit discharge almost within min after removed from the charging. I charged the battery from 0.93V to 1.2V in abt 5 hours time. If the battery is damaged, will it affect the charging time too?

Ordinary NiMH AA cells seem not to be affected adversely by limited overcharge, providing they don't get hot. Warm is fine. I would guess you are barely charging the cell, given the source. Try leaving it charging for 48 hrs, monitoring its temp just by feel. If it feels no warmer than body heat, it's okay.

If you are unable to get a reading of the current going into the cell it must be miniscule and you may need to charge it for a couple of weeks. You do have a diode in the circuit?

Can you give more details about your setup? What provides the vibrations?

NascentOxygen said:
If you are unable to get a reading of the current going into the cell it must be miniscule and you may need to charge it for a couple of weeks. You do have a diode in the circuit?
Yeah.

Try charging it with a real charger to verify the cell is working properly.

You need to charge it to a higher voltage. 1.2V even at very low current is barely charged. The above graph says 10%. What makes you think you are 90% at 1.2V?

It is also possible that self discharge is significant compared to your charge current.

Leave it on your low current charger until the voltage stops rising (or the battery gets warm). It won't get warm until it is fully charged.

NascentOxygen said:
Ordinary NiMH AA cells seem not to be affected adversely by limited overcharge, providing they don't get hot. Warm is fine. I would guess you are barely charging the cell, given the source. Try leaving it charging for 48 hrs, monitoring its temp just by feel. If it feels no warmer than body heat, it's okay.

Can you give more details about your setup? What provides the vibrations?

Yes, I am thinking whether the current is too insignificant, but somehow it shows that the battery voltage is increasing. For my circuit, i used a full bridge rectifier using diodes and a smoothing capacitor before connecting to the rechargeable battery. The vibration is provided via a speaker. The battery temperature doesn't really have any charges when I am charging it. So are you saying that the battery voltage are just increasing because of the constant input of the source, but its not actually charging ?

meBigGuy said:
You need to charge it to a higher voltage. 1.2V even at very low current is barely charged. The above graph says 10%. What makes you think you are 90% at 1.2V?

It is also possible that self discharge is significant compared to your charge current.

Leave it on your low current charger until the voltage stops rising (or the battery gets warm). It won't get warm until it is fully charged.

90% at 1.2V is determined from a literature review.
https://institutes.lanl.gov/ei/pdf_files/JIMSS2005.pdf
During the experiments the
time required for the battery to charge past the
cell voltage of 1.2 volts was measured in each
case. This is not a complete charge but is approximately 90% full

I would question their unsubstantiated statement that "charging past 1.2V" represents a 90% charge. I would charge until the voltage stopped changing and assume that is fully charged. Then, based on that and typical curves, decide what voltage might indicate 90%, or, do some calibrated discharge experiments to determine the battery's true capacity at its rated discharge. Also, you need to determine its self-discharge rate.

CWatters said:
Take a look at this charge/discharge curve..

http://www.cobasys.com/pdf/tutorial/InsideNimhBattery/inside_nimh_battery_technology_files/image018.gif

Work out how full the cell is in % when it reaches 1.2V on the charge curve. Then look up that % on the discharge curve to see what voltage it might be when taken off charge.

Am i right to say that based on the graph, at 1.2V of the battery when its charge, its only about 10-20%?
meBigGuy said:
I would question their unsubstantiated statement that "charging past 1.2V" represents a 90% charge. I would charge until the voltage stopped changing and assume that is fully charged. Then, based on that and typical curves, decide what voltage might indicate 90%, or, do some calibrated discharge experiments to determine the battery's true capacity at its rated discharge. Also, you need to determine its self-discharge rate.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me. Since the battery that i charged almost discharged instantly when removed from the circuit, is it still considered that the battery was been charged?
Like you said, i might need to charge until the voltage stop or reaches it full capacity, which was 1.27V when i bought it.

grasscut said:
i used a full bridge rectifier using diodes and a smoothing capacitor before connecting to the rechargeable battery.
Try leaving out the smoothing capacitor. This may deliver a voltage which some of the time is greater than what you're using, and may achieve better charging. Though I think you just need to give it a few weeks to charge; your source is a high impedance, of low power.

NascentOxygen said:
Try leaving out the smoothing capacitor. This may deliver a voltage which some of the time is greater than what you're using, and may achieve better charging. Though I think you just need to give it a few weeks to charge; your source is a high impedance, of low power.

Isit because there is some power that is dissipated at the smoothing capacitor end? i can't leave it to charge for weeks though, i don't not have access to my lab for such a long hours. So i have quite limited choice. Yes, the piezoelectric has very high voltage output but the output power isn't too much. i can get approximately 5.8mW from one of my piezoelectric.

grasscut said:
Isit because there is some power that is dissipated at the smoothing capacitor end?
From a high impedance source, the capacitor would be averaging the potential; its average value is lower than its peak value. There may also be a bit of capacitor leakage, and you don't have any current to waste.

5.8mW, if that were indeed the power delivered, means at 1.2v you have only 5mA. So a 2500mAh AA cell would need around 600 hours to fully charge, though in practice this low charging rate may not even be able to keep up with the cell's losses, meaning it can never charge.

5.2mW /1.2V = 4.3ma. At 100% efficiency that would charge your battery in 1300/4.3 = 302 hours = 12 days

I've seen it said that NiMH self discharge is 2% per day, which would be 26mah, which over 24 hours would be about a 1ma load.

Assuming 1ma leakage, and 1.3V average voltage that would increase to 433 hours = 18 days. (1300/((5.2/1.3) - 1)/24)

NascentOxygen said:
From a high impedance source, the capacitor would be averaging the potential; its average value is lower than its peak value. There may also be a bit of capacitor leakage, and you don't have any current to waste.

5.8mW, if that were indeed the power delivered, means at 1.2v you have only 5mA. So a 2500mAh AA cell would need around 600 hours to fully charge, though in practice this low charging rate may not even be able to keep up with the cell's losses, meaning it can never charge.

The 5.8mW was obtained from a resistive load of 80Kohm when i test the performance of the piezoelectric.
So even from the article that i mentioned earlier, there is a chance that the battery charged was never really charged?

grasscut said:
The 5.8mW was obtained from a resistive load of 80Kohm when i test the performance of the piezoelectric.
You measured 21 volts across 80kΩ?

NascentOxygen said:
You measured 21 volts across 80kΩ?
Apologies, its 68K Ohm resistor.
I measured 19.8V across a 68k Ohm resistor.
There are a total of 5 piezo material connected in parallel to get that reading.

The graph I posted suggests that at 1.2v the cell might only be 1% charged...but its not safe to assume even that much.

I think you should concentrate on trying to measure a meaningful charge current. Until you can do that best assume its not being charged at all.

Likes davenn
That would be a real problem if its not charging at all. but i think
meBigGuy said:
5.2mW /1.2V = 4.3ma. At 100% efficiency that would charge your battery in 1300/4.3 = 302 hours = 12 days

I've seen it said that NiMH self discharge is 2% per day, which would be 26mah, which over 24 hours would be about a 1ma load.

Assuming 1ma leakage, and 1.3V average voltage that would increase to 433 hours = 18 days. (1300/((5.2/1.3) - 1)/24)

sorry, i missed out your reply. thank you so much for showing the calculation. you gave me a better picture of how the charging works. having to charge it for 18 days is really long.

CWatters said:
The graph I posted suggests that at 1.2v the cell might only be 1% charged...but its not safe to assume even that much.

I think you should concentrate on trying to measure a meaningful charge current. Until you can do that best assume its not being charged at all.

i tried to measure using multimeter in series along with the battery, i can't get any reading. 1.2V is 1% charged based on that graph, however my battery at full capacity only reads 1.27V, whereas the graph is more than that. but it still doesn't change the fact that its 1.2V is insufficient. So, may i know what's the reason that causes the cell voltage to increase when i placed it with piezoelectric? since you said its not charging

No current going in means its not being charged. Got to find out why.

grasscut said:
my battery at full capacity only reads 1.27V,

You have not explained how you know it is at full capacity when it reads 1.27V. Do you also have a real NiMH charger? (BTW, I am doubting your conclusion that it is fully charged)

meBigGuy said:
You have not explained how you know it is at full capacity when it reads 1.27V. Do you also have a real NiMH charger? (BTW, I am doubting your conclusion that it is fully charged)

I measured the cell voltage of 1.27V when i first bought it. without using it at all, is brand new.

grasscut said:
I measured the cell voltage of 1.27V when i first bought it. without using it at all, is brand new.
You are placing too much reliance on that voltage. It's more of a guide for a typical cell. The best way to estimate a cell's state of charge is knowledge of the charge you have put into it, and it seems you are delivering minimal charge from your novel source.

When brand new, the cell has been self-discharging on the shelf for as long as it has been since it was charged at the factory. And, they may not have charged it to 100%. 1.27 volts is just what it happened to be at when you measured it. It has no meaning.

You need to fully charge it with a NiMH charger if you want to characterize it.

NascentOxygen said:
You are placing too much reliance on that voltage. It's more of a guide for a typical cell. The best way to estimate a cell's state of charge is knowledge of the charge you have put into it, and it seems you are delivering minimal charge from your novel source.

meBigGuy said:
When brand new, the cell has been self-discharging on the shelf for as long as it has been since it was charged at the factory. And, they may not have charged it to 100%. 1.27 volts is just what it happened to be at when you measured it. It has no meaning.

You need to fully charge it with a NiMH charger if you want to characterize it.

Thank you all for sharing. i think i need to find other source to verify. Since the source that i found is unsustainable.

1. Why does my rechargeable battery seem to lose its charge quickly?

Rechargeable batteries can lose their charge quickly due to a process called self-discharge. This occurs when the battery is not in use and slowly drains its energy over time.

2. How long does it take for a rechargeable battery to self-discharge?

The rate of self-discharge varies depending on the type of battery and its age. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few days to a few months for a rechargeable battery to self-discharge completely.

3. Can self-discharge be prevented?

While self-discharge is a natural process, there are ways to prevent it from happening quickly. Storing the battery in a cool and dry place can slow down the rate of self-discharge. Additionally, using the battery regularly can also help maintain its charge.

4. Does the type of device affect the self-discharge rate of a rechargeable battery?

Yes, the type of device can have an impact on the self-discharge rate of a rechargeable battery. Devices that have a standby or sleep mode, such as smartphones and laptops, can cause the battery to self-discharge faster compared to devices that are completely turned off when not in use.

5. How can I extend the lifespan of my rechargeable battery?

To extend the lifespan of a rechargeable battery, it is important to properly maintain and use it. This includes fully charging and discharging the battery at least once every few months, avoiding extreme temperatures, and using the battery regularly. It is also recommended to replace the battery when it starts to show signs of decreased performance.