How did my water heater cause a flood in my apartment?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 3K views
junglebeast
Messages
514
Reaction score
2
2 years, 2 different kinds of water heaters, 2 flooded apartments.

Last time I was fortunate enough that all the leakage went out the door, but when it happened two days ago it flooded my bedroom and closet during the night. Yeah, that was fun...I step out of bed onto the carpet, squish...what the hell? who peed on the rug? wait..it's everywhere...

Basically, whoever is out there designing water heaters, I don't know who you are, but I'm not impressed.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
maybe it's the water there. or the wiring? isn't there some kind of anode you can replace?
 
junglebeast said:
2 years, 2 different kinds of water heaters, 2 flooded apartments.

Last time I was fortunate enough that all the leakage went out the door, but when it happened two days ago it flooded my bedroom and closet during the night. Yeah, that was fun...I step out of bed onto the carpet, squish...what the hell? who peed on the rug? wait..it's everywhere...

Basically, whoever is out there designing water heaters, I don't know who you are, but I'm not impressed.

I don't know if this applies to your situation or not, but the rate of failure for new products is ridiculous these days.

Just out of curiosity, where was it made?
 
Once in the building I was living in in Paris, firemen came in at 6am. They broke in a window on the wall next to mine. We are told a water heater fell, broke the water pipe, and the flood has been continuous over night. The neighbors downstairs noticed it in the morning, the ones upstairs are absent. Meanwhile, the fireman comes out of the window and shouts to the crew chief "It comes from above"...
 
negitron said:
I've never had a single water heater failure in 44 years.

They don't make 'em where they used to.
 
Ivan Seeking said:
I don't know if this applies to your situation or not, but the rate of failure for new products is ridiculous these days.

Just out of curiosity, where was it made?

It's a RheemGlas Fury
 
humanino said:
Once in the building I was living in in Paris, firemen came in at 6am. They broke in a window on the wall next to mine. We are told a water heater fell, broke the water pipe, and the flood has been continuous over night. The neighbors downstairs noticed it in the morning, the ones upstairs are absent. Meanwhile, the fireman comes out of the window and shouts to the crew chief "It comes from above"...

Wow... ...nice wake-up call!
 
humanino said:
Once in the building I was living in in Paris, firemen came in at 6am. They broke in a window on the wall next to mine. We are told a water heater fell, broke the water pipe, and the flood has been continuous over night. The neighbors downstairs noticed it in the morning, the ones upstairs are absent. Meanwhile, the fireman comes out of the window and shouts to the crew chief "It comes from above"...

I hope they were at least smashing windows according to a binary search rather than a linear one
 
junglebeast said:
It's a RheemGlas Fury

Made in...? I was just curious if they are still made in the US.
 
Ivan Seeking said:
Made in...? I was just curious if they are still made in the US.

Made in Mexico...well that explains it
 
junglebeast said:
It's a RheemGlas Fury

That's just about the highest quality heater there is. I have one as the heat exchange unit for my solar water system. This specific unit was required in order for the entire system to be certified because no other tank met its quality. Exactly where is water leaking from the tank? Seems that the flaw is more likely to be in the person who connected the heater.