Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How did the first cells come about?

1. Feb 15, 2008 #1
    I understand how we get microspheres and coacervates, which aren't really living, but how do we get prom these to the first prokaryotes? I understand that once you have the prokaryotes they can coexist to form eukaryotes and so forth, but I can't seem to find out what that little step is that's missing. Thanks =]
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2008 #2
    Well, that's somewhat of a mystery. What came 1st the chicken or the egg? :)

It is possible, perhaps, that microspheres and DNA(or RNA) developed independently and then eventually joined together in some sort of symbiotic relationship. Or perhaps DNA managed to form a cellular membrane on it's own? I don't think anyone has a definitive answer to that question....just various postulations.

In other words: who knows? hehe

A number of different theories are listed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_life
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?