1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How did v come out of this derivative?

1. Aug 5, 2012 #1
    How did "v" come out of this derivative?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

ffa.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution

I basically understood how to attack the problem and my answer was very close to the key. The only thing bothering me is that v on the top. I cannot see how that could come up anywhere.

I know that the "r" is r = r(t), so that I am only taking the derivative of $$\ln(1 + w/r)$$. I don't see where the v actually is

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: How did "v" come out of this derivative?

The flux is expressed as a function of r. You're taking the derivative with respect to t. So, recall the chain rule of calculus: first take the derivative with respect to r and then multiply by the derivative of r with respect to t.

4. Aug 6, 2012 #3

Nope, implicit differentiation. I had forgotten about that

5. Aug 6, 2012 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here's the chain rule: If [itex]y=f[/itex] and [itex]u = g[x][/itex] are differentiable functions, then [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{dy}{du}[/itex][itex]\cdot[/itex][itex]\frac{du}{dx}[/itex]

You have the flux expressed as a function of r: [itex]\Phi[r][/itex] and r is some function of time: [itex]r[t][/itex].

So, the chain rule says [itex]\frac{d\Phi}{dt}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{d\Phi}{dr}[/itex][itex]\cdot[/itex][itex]\frac{dr}{dt}[/itex]

This get's you the answer and it shows why the speed v appears.

How do you get the answer using implicit differentiation?

6. Aug 6, 2012 #5

No you are right, I forget the $\phi$ on the LHS. I was thinking something like

Something = r as a function of t ==> differentiate both sides wrt t ==> implicitly differentiate RHS

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=D[ln%281+%2B+w%2Fr%28t%29%29%2Ct]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook