How did you discover Physics Forums

• Thread starter rhody
  • Start date
In summary, Rhody found the forum through a google search for help with his undergraduate physics class, and has been addicted ever since.
That's better, thanks Jimmy, now, how about Zz, and our famous "Citizen of the World", who seems to relish mystery and privacy, maybe he will poke his head out long enough to give us his story as well.

Rhody... o:)

P.S. Evo we are interested in your story as well, if you can break yourself away from your banning gun long enough. And, oh yeah, where is that pesky pengy bird too, probably still complaining about MS and Mr Gates.

Physics news on Phys.org
When searching for information about quantum mechanics and Bell's Theorem (probably on Google), I found interesting discussions on physicsforums; and when I started to follow those I also noticed a number of questions on other physics topics with which I could help, so I joined. :smile:

I found PF while doing a Google search for something long forgotten. I liked its mission and the quality of responses from all of you (and still do). I remember replying to ZZapper's "How did you leam QM" thread and thinking that PF is pretty cool.

Last edited:
Usually when I search for things physics-related a thread from this site will at least be on the first page a lot of the time.

I was searching for a science related forum. As a physics major, I must say I'm very satisfied with what I have found. :)

I think I googled, for some forgotten reason, on "arc length parametrization", and a thread from PF showed.
Since the participants had mired themselves in a pseudo-problem, I joined and made a comment there.

I think..

rhody said:
That's better, thanks Jimmy, now, how about Zz, and our famous "Citizen of the World", who seems to relish mystery and privacy, maybe he will poke his head out long enough to give us his story as well.

Rhody... o:)

P.S. Evo we are interested in your story as well, if you can break yourself away from your banning gun long enough. And, oh yeah, where is that pesky pengy bird too, probably still complaining about MS and Mr Gates.
Already did.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3397757&postcount=7

... I can't remember. :bugeye:

I came though a google search somehow related to looking for papers or numerical info related to my Ph.D. thesis (hence my user name), and I found homework-helping and general discussion both great procrastination tools. (Sometime in 2006).

As an aside, I DID still successfully defend in October of '06, so I didn't procrastinate TOO much on PF... at least not back then.

Not going to lie, I came here because it was billed as being the official forum for Piled Higher and Deeper Comics (PhDComics), which is now relegated to being a sub-sub-sub forum. I've been trying to procrastinate less here whilst trying to finish my thesis (hence my diminishing post frequency) but this place definitely falls into the edu-tainment category for me.

Piled Higher and Deeper Comics--the grad life:
http://www.phdcomics.com/comics.php

I binged, then I decided.

micromass said:
I was tired of the attitude of yahoo answers were people would just expect the answer without working for it. So I searched for math forums on google, and this was the first one I liked :smile:
I used to be active in yahoo answers too, and that pretty much ended the day I found PF.

In June 2005, someone familiar with me from sci.physics.research sent me an email about Physics Forums, so I joined, and I stopped posting on sci.physics and sci.physics.research.

Greg sent me an email in September 2001,

Hey there,

I thought you might be interested in visiting physicsforums.com which I have recently announced. You can find and discuss many subjects.

https://www.physicsforums.com

thanks,
Greg

but I ignored it. :grumpy:

George Jones said:
In June 2005, someone familiar with me from sci.physics.research sent me an email about Physics Forums, so I joined, and I stopped posting on sci.physics and sci.physics.research.

Hey there,

I thought you might be interested in visiting physicsforums.com which I have recently announced. You can find and discuss many subjects.

https://www.physicsforums.com

thanks,
Greg

George,

I think it is cool that you kept it, and that you stayed and became a Mentor.

Rhody...

I went on Google and then typed in "physics forums" in the search box. And the rest is history. ;)

Thy Apathy said:
I went on Google and then typed in "physics forums" in the search box. And the rest is history. ;)
Thy,

Are you kidding or are you serious ? If serious, what were you looking for that prompted you to seek out PF ?

Rhody...

P.S. When I quoted you, some other text came up (not displayed in your post) other than what was shown on the screen. That's why I am asking... It was George Jones original post, enclosed in [][] quote /quote tags, and thus made invisible. That is a first for me, responding to a post with hidden text in it. MODS! (pengy credit given) have a look please...

I thought this was appropriate to post Evo's comment here: from the, "We broke the record" thread. Where are these users coming from, are they just lurker's or spiders crawling the site ?

Not trying to hi-jack Greg's thread, but it would be nice to see other folks post here as to how they found us.

Evo said:
7,437!

4,000 in Homework!

Greg, where are these coming from at night?

Rhody... :wink:

Somewhere in 2005 I was looking for places to promote/get links to my then starting chembuddy site. Forums - especially chemistry related - were a good place, it is not difficult to add a link to related material/software when answering someones question. So initially I was posting just in chemistry, it wasn't till much later that I discovered there are other interesting parts of the PF. At some point I had a small clash with one of the (now ex) Mentors, which put me off for some time, but eventually I got back.

So basically I am a converted spammer :tongue:

When I found PF, I had just decided to go back to school and earn a degree. I looking for some advice about the curriculum for a computer engineering degree and what distinguished it from one of its parents, EE. My goals have changed since then, but my appreciation of the help I received hasn't. This was the only place where I felt like I was getting honest, objective answers.

I did some more poking around and discovered that I could learn a lot by making this site not just a part of my education, but also a part of my general intellectual and personal development. I've yet to find a more scientifically minded and helpful community on the internet. PF challenges my biases and has helped me learn how to think for myself, which is something everyone on this planet needs!

George Jones said:

lol I spammed you! Were you working for a university? Back then colleges still listed professor's emails as text and it was an easy grab :devil:

rhody said:
Not trying to hi-jack Greg's thread, but it would be nice to see other folks post here as to how they found us.

I'd say through google search. All those records are being broken around 7-9pm CST. Which is more than likely the time students are done with dinner and starting their homework.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'd say through google search. All those records are being broken around 7-9pm CST. Which is more than likely the time students are done with dinner and starting their homework.
Greg,

That makes sense, which brings up a related issue. Last year I went to a lot of trouble and time to post information in my thread on brain plasticity, because I believed it could benefit others. The idea that a college student would use, paraphrase or plain just copy it and use it for research paper in college has crossed my mind many times. Have you heard stories or been contacted by college professor's who suspect that the student may have used anothers work, in this case my own without giving credit to the originator of the material ?

Rhody...

rhody said:
I thought this was appropriate to post Evo's comment here: from the, "We broke the record" thread. Where are these users coming from, are they just lurker's or spiders crawling the site ?

Rhody... :wink:
They're actual guests, not spiders.

referred here by someone on another forum

Evo said:
They're actual guests, not spiders.

Thanks Evo, I wanted to make sure they were real people and not bots or spiders of some kind.

Rhody...

I had to do a project on orthogonal matrices, and was forbidden from consulting other professors. Whoops, I guess some of you guys are professors! Oh well, it was micromass who helped, and he's not a prof yet. :P

I got some stellar help on probability from ILikeSerena recently.

Since I live an hour from campus and I work all day and only go to classes at night during the fall/spring terms I have very few opportunities to get help from classmates, and practically none to see profs during office hours. PF is a life saver.

I came across PF whilst searching for physics problem sets to occupy some idle time. Every now and then I prowl the web for some practice midterm exams, or homework assignments from university courses to see just how well my university did its job in penetrating my thick skull.

Previously I'd come across a site called "Physics24/7" which had lots of problem sets and answers. It didn't take long to determine that not a few of their "answers" were, shall we say, a tad shy of perfect. While the administration of the site was welcoming of updates and corrections (I eventually went through all of their problem sets and submitted not a few errata that were acknowledged and applied), the whole experience was rather "dry" in terms of interaction. It didn't strike me as being a resource that would be able to help a student to understand the subject matter if they were being tripped up by some simple misconception or misunderstanding. Not at all the right approach, in my humble opinion.

Physics Forums is a horse of a completely different hue. The dynamic interaction with students who are new to the topics and are genuinely working towards an understanding of the subject matter is wonderful. You can almost see the fog clearing. Occasionally it brings to mind a few personal "aha!" moments when what was murky suddenly snapped into focus, and the conceptual triggers that made it happen. Is there such a thing as gnostalgia?

Requiring some effort on the part of the querents (and sticking to that principle) is laudable. I also like the fact that other more knowledgeable helpers and mentors are there to seal up the leaks and cracks in my own understandings, and can catch the (hopefully only very occasional) misfires that I commit.

The international flavor is nice, too. Help comes in timezone waves! (And as I am led to believe, there may be fish of many types in some of those waves).

PF has a genuine feeling of community about it that other sites lack, and the depth and breadth of its (volunteer!) human resources is quite remarkable. Kudos to the whole shebang! Long may PF reign.

I was lured here during my free time.

I had been posting at a large computer related forum,Anantech. I realized an error in using my real name and the post counts of the old timers there were intimidating 10,000+. So was looking for a different, smaller, forum when I followed a link to these forums. Here it was a completely different story, the top posters only had around 200 posts and there was a clear need for even my level of knowledge. Before signing up I put some thought into a user name and Integral was born. That was nearly 10years ago, Dec 2001 . It was just a few weeks after I started posting that I received a PM from Greg inviting me to be a mentor.

Initially I think that there was 1 other member with a degree in Physics, so I was able to help quite a bit. I do recall frequently refreshing, for sometimes hours, waiting for a new post.

I am not, now, nearly as active as I used to be, about all I do any more is browse and scoot misplaced homework to the correct forum. I continue to be amazed at the success and growth of these forums. I take some pride in having established policies and standards which evolved to the current state. It has been a joy to be part of it.

I found it while searching solution for math problem

Before my first semester of college (2005) I was lurking the web for science sites. When I first joined the internet circa 1999 it was an innocent time. Forums were very small, flame wars were kept to a minium, and a general lack of trolling. I origanlly went by the handle Plastic Photon. Rejoined a couple years ago.

Way back when I thought 'wouldn't it be cool if there was a physics forum'. I searched Google and there was one.