How did you discover Physics Forums

• Thread starter rhody
  • Start date
rhody
Gold Member
Will keep mine pithy, late in 2008 a co-worker, really smart, Harvard undergrad, MIT Graduate, with honors turned me onto http://www.ted.com/talks" [Broken].
After watching a bunch of video's I stumbled on Garrett Lisi's E8 talk, thought it was cool. A few well placed searches on Lisi led me to PF, where I have been happy as a clam ever since (March 09, after lurking a bit before joining).
Funny how one thing leads to another, eh ?

Rhody... :devil: :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Actually, Orstio, a PF member who owns and administers Everything-Science told me about PF and the homework forums. He mentioned the discussion forums and intensive use of LaTeX, and recommended I check it out. I did.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Probably google, I actually don't remember lol.

jtbell
Mentor
I probably came here via a link from a posting in one of the Usenet sci.physics.* newsgroups. PF used to have a bidirectional gateway to sci.physics.research, and I remember seeing posts from PF there. Or someone may have posted a link to a thread here from a similar thread in sci.physics or sci.physics.relativity. This was over six years ago, so I don't remember the details.

Last edited:
Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
A google search led me to a thread here. I have long forgotten what it was I was looking for in the first place.

(April 2008)

Evo
Mentor
I was searching for information on string theory. This forum was the most active of the knowledgeable forums. Then I found GD...

turbo
Gold Member
I was searching for information on string theory. This forum was the most active of the knowledgeable forums. Then I found GD...
And fell into a hole, not unlike the Ditch of Doom.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Evo, I heard from VERY reliable sources that the combined General Discussion threads formed a hole in spacetime and out popped a rainbow unicorn which layed a chocolate covered egg that you then appeared out of. To everyone's pleasure of course.

Evo
Mentor
Evo, I heard from VERY reliable sources that the combined General Discussion threads formed a hole in spacetime and out popped a rainbow unicorn which layed a chocolate covered egg that you then appeared out of. To everyone's pleasure of course.
:!!)

<inserts 10 billion GOOBF cards in Drakkith's computer>

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
:!!)

<inserts 10 billion GOOBF cards in Drakkith's computer>
I'm afraid to ask...but what are GOOBF cards?

Evo
Mentor
I'm afraid to ask...but what are GOOBF cards?
Get Out Of Banning Free

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Get Out Of Banning Free
Woohoo!

Bryan S
I wanted to read and learn about astrophysics and I think I came to the right spot.

I am a crank! :biggrin: I was looking for a way to define zero.
And Greg, I thought this was a high school project gone awry?

String theory ... :eek:

You were looking for string theory and you found G-D! I knew it!!!
How do I get this ink off from the "Crank Stamp?" :frown:

Pyrrhus
Homework Helper
I was looking for help for my undergraduate physics I class :shy:. I got help, and I decided to return the favor. I spent most of 2004-2005 on the homework forums then I branched out to other forums once in a while :blushing:. That was 7 years ago!.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I came in through the Michio Kaku forums in 2003.

I really don't remember...I was a lurker for a while then I decided to join :)

I was googling "arguments for physicalism" and I ended up here in some HUGE legendary thread "Can everything be reduced to pure physics" 1 year ago or so. Until then, I never would've thought there are forums with people actually willing to discuss such things so I got a bit excited. I read other threads for a while and then decided to join.

cobalt124
Gold Member
I was killing lunchbreaks:

googling mathamatics and chess -> reading University of St Andrews website full of biographies of mathematicians -> reading Wolframs maths website -> PF.

Lurked for years and then joined. Totaly addicted. I've learned so much from PF, thankyou all. I wish I had more time to post. Great thread Rhody, I've been wanting to say all this.