How do cell organelles divide?

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cell
In summary, the cell divides by copying organelles that are made by the enzymes catalyzed by the cell's DNA.
gravenewworld
This question has been bothering me for a while. When you learn about mitosis you learn about replication of DNA via specific enzymes. However, it is never fully explained just exactly how the rest of the cell is both told to divide and how it divides. I mean how do organelles like the golgi apparatus divide? They aren't made out of DNA. They are just a large macromolecule. How does the cell exactly copy an organelle?

Biology news on Phys.org
I believe they are constructed by the proteins that the Cell's DNA catalyzes.(Creates?)

Hi gravenewworld,

Coheda is correct. At the end of mitosis you have a single cell with two nucleii. The two nucleii separate and then the rest of the cell simply separates in a process called cytokinesis. At the end of cytokinesis some of the organelles are in one cell and some are in the other, but each cell has the necessary cellular machinery for making more organells as the cell grows or as old ones need replacement.

DaleSpam said:
Hi gravenewworld,

Coheda is correct. At the end of mitosis you have a single cell with two nucleii. The two nucleii separate and then the rest of the cell simply separates in a process called cytokinesis. At the end of cytokinesis some of the organelles are in one cell and some are in the other, but each cell has the necessary cellular machinery for making more organells as the cell grows or as old ones need replacement.

And what is this machinery? What specific enzymes synthesize organelles? My understanding that at the end of cytokinesis the cell divides completely. and is a fully functional cell that enters G1.

I'm not a cell biologists, but IIRC, I remember hearing somewhere or other than the mechanism of how the golgi divides is one of the big unsolved questions in cell biology.

1. How do cell organelles divide?

Cell organelles divide through a process called mitosis. During mitosis, the organelles replicate and then divide, with each new cell receiving a copy of the organelles.

2. What is the purpose of cell organelle division?

The purpose of cell organelle division is to ensure that each new cell receives the necessary organelles and cellular machinery to function properly.

3. What triggers cell organelle division?

Cell organelle division is triggered by signals from the cell's nucleus. These signals indicate when the cell is ready to divide and replicate its organelles.

4. Are all cell organelles capable of dividing?

No, not all cell organelles are capable of dividing. Some organelles, like the mitochondria, have their own separate division process, while others, like the Golgi apparatus, do not divide at all.

5. Can cell organelle division be disrupted?

Yes, cell organelle division can be disrupted by various factors, such as genetic mutations or external stressors. This can lead to dysfunctional or abnormal cells and can potentially contribute to diseases like cancer.