Organelles - nucleus, endoplasmic reticulum, and golgi body

In summary, a high school teacher with a physics and math background is seeking help with teaching basic biology. They are studying the organelles and how they work together to make proteins. The nucleus contains DNA, which acts as an instruction manual for protein synthesis. The ribosomes, found on the rough endoplasmic reticulum, use this DNA to create proteins. The smooth endoplasmic reticulum plays a role in lipid production, detoxification, and calcium storage, but does not transport proteins. Some ribosomes are also free-floating in the cell, rather than being attached to the rough ER.
jumbogala

Homework Statement

Hi everyone. I'm a high school teacher. My background is physics and math, but right now I'm teaching a course that involves some basic (grade 10) biology. I don't know much about bio, so I need your help!

Right now, we're studying the organelles. I'm trying to put together some information about how the organelles work together to make proteins. Hopefully this will make the organelle functions easier for the students to remember.

Basically, I just need to know if what I've written below is true. Any corrections would be helpful!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

- The nucleus directs all of the cell's activities. It contains the cell's genetic material, which is called DNA. The DNA is like an instruction manual that tells the cell how to build proteins.

- The DNA travels to the rough endoplasmic reticulum (ER), which is studded with ribosomes. The ribosomes use the instructions in the DNA to synthesize proteins.

- The smooth endoplasmic reticulum acts like a pathway that connects the rough ER to the golgi body. The finished proteins travel along this pathway.

- The proteins end up in the golgi body, which sorts them and then packages them into vesicles. Vesicles are like bubbles within the cell. The vesicles can break through the cell membrane, carrying the proteins outside the cell to wherever they are needed.

Physics news on Phys.org
That sounds pretty good, though #3 is not familiar to me (probably just my own forgetfulness). You could also add that vesicles eat up the cells' waste. That's important. I took 10th grade bio last year. It was one of the best classes so far. Good luck teaching!

jumbogala said:
The DNA travels to the rough endoplasmic reticulum (ER), which is studded with ribosomes. The ribosomes use the instructions in the DNA to synthesize proteins.

Just a correction, we cannot write a book or even a short summary article for you. There are plenty, or even Wikipedia if you can't call in on a bookshop, in fact I think you could find better than some of what you say in school textbooks.

I don't know what 10th grade is but you cannot at this or any level give an impression that ribosomes act on DNA directly, and not mention transcription and Messenger RNA which is what is exported from the nucleus, not DNA, and which the ribosomes use as instructions for making the aminoacid sequences of proteins. There are only two copies of the DNA molecule per eukaryote cell, the ribosomes are using not two but many thousands of copies of messenger RNA in the case of an abundant protein.

Last edited:
Likes ProfuselyQuarky
epenguin said:
I don't know what 10th grade is but you cannot at this or any level give an impression that ribosomes act on DNA directly, and not mention transcription and Messenger RNA which is what is exported from the nucleus, not DNA, and which the ribosomes use as instructions for making the aminoacid sequences of proteins. There are only two copies of the DNA molecule per eukaryote cell, the ribosomes are using not two but many thousands of copies of messenger RNA in the case of an abundant protein.
Ah, I guess the education systems in European countries are a lot different than in the States. 10th grade is equivalent to, I believe, Year 11 in the UK. Students in that grade are usually 15-16 years of age. Thanks for the clarification about ribosomes and DNA.

Where did you find that the smooth ER transports proteins to the golgi apparatus? I am 90% sure it doesn't do this. Proteins that leave the rough ER are actually packaged into vesicles which head to the Golgi apparatus to be modified sorted. The smooth ER is important for manufacturing lipids like testosterone and estrogen, the detoxification of poisons and the storage of Ca+ ions. I've never heard of it transporting proteins though.

You might also want to mention that some ribosomes just float around in the cell while they make proteins, rather than being on the rough ER. These are called free ribosomes, and bound ribosomes are on the rough ER.

1. What is the function of the nucleus?

The nucleus is the control center of the cell, responsible for storing and protecting the cell's genetic material. It also regulates the cell's activities, including protein synthesis and cell division.

2. How does the endoplasmic reticulum contribute to cell function?

The endoplasmic reticulum (ER) is a network of membranes that is involved in protein synthesis, lipid metabolism, and detoxification of substances. It also plays a crucial role in the transport and distribution of materials within the cell.

3. What is the golgi body and what does it do?

The golgi body, also known as the golgi apparatus, is responsible for modifying, sorting, and packaging proteins and lipids for transport to their final destinations within or outside the cell. It also produces lysosomes, which are important for breaking down waste products.

4. How are these organelles involved in cellular communication?

The nucleus, endoplasmic reticulum, and golgi body all play important roles in cellular communication. The nucleus contains the genetic material that codes for proteins, which are then synthesized in the ER and modified in the golgi body. These proteins can then be secreted outside the cell or used for internal communication and signaling.

5. What happens if there is a malfunction or damage to these organelles?

If the nucleus is damaged or dysfunctional, it can lead to genetic mutations and disruptions in cell activities such as protein synthesis and cell division. Malfunctioning or damaged endoplasmic reticulum can result in improper protein folding and transport, leading to diseases such as cystic fibrosis. Damage to the golgi body can cause disruptions in protein and lipid processing, leading to various health issues.