How do electrons in materials interact?

In summary, electrons in materials interact through various mechanisms such as repulsion and attraction forces, as well as through exchange of energy and momentum. These interactions determine the properties and behavior of the material, such as its conductivity and magnetic properties. The specific nature of the interactions depends on the type of material and its atomic structure. In some materials, such as metals, electrons are free to move and interact with each other, while in others, such as insulators, they are tightly bound to their respective atoms. Overall, understanding how electrons interact in materials is crucial for developing new technologies and advancing our understanding of the physical world.
Philipsmett
If an electron is divided into quasiparticles in a material, then at the contact between the two materials does the interaction only occur between holons, since they carry a charge?

Physics news on Phys.org
As you have been told over and over:

"It's not correct to think of the microscopic electrons literally splitting when you have fractionalized quantum numbers in a material."

(From king vitamin, in this case)

Likes Philipsmett
Vanadium 50 said:
As you have been told over and over:

"It's not correct to think of the microscopic electrons literally splitting when you have fractionalized quantum numbers in a material."

(From king vitamin, in this case)
But what about experiments on the spin-charge separation?

Philipsmett said:
If an electron is divided into quasiparticles in a material, then at the contact between the two materials does the interaction only occur between holons, since they carry a charge?
In different materials, quasiparticles are different, and cannot be easily compared. In particular, the notion of quasiparticles is material dependent, and your question does not make sense.

Likes Philipsmett
A. Neumaier said:
In different materials, quasiparticles are different, and cannot be easily compared. In particular, the notion of quasiparticles is material dependent, and your question does not make sense.
What creates a negative charge in materials? Electron or quasiparticle?

A. Neumaier said:
How is the repulsion of electron orbitals?

Philipsmett said:
But what about experiments on the spin-charge separation?

Answered here.

Philipsmett said:
What creates a negative charge in materials? Electron or quasiparticle?
It depends on the level of modeling.

Don't expect to get long, detailed answers to quickly posed questions. First do some reading to understand the background, then present a question together with stating what you already learned from the literature, and why it isn't sufficient for you.

Likes Philipsmett
A. Neumaier said:
It depends on the level of modeling.

Don't expect to get long, detailed answers to quickly posed questions. First do some reading to understand the background, then present a question together with stating what you already learned from the literature, and why it isn't sufficient for you.
"An electron can always theoretically be regarded as a bound state of three" - from Wikipedia
In the experiment, they could separate the charge and spin separately (spinone and holon), but these quasiparticles are just a mathematical model. Where does the negative charge take?

Philipsmett said:
"An electron can always theoretically be regarded as a bound state of three" - from Wikipedia
In the experiment, they could separate the charge and spin separately (spinone and holon), but these quasiparticles are just a mathematical model. Where does the negative charge take?

Your questions here showed your continued misunderstanding of the concept of "quasiparticles", because you are still thinking that these are actual "objects". this is incorrect, and other than suggesting that you look again at Landau's Fermi Liquid model, I don't know what else to do.

Spin-charge separation, or in general, fractionalization, occurs in "exotic" situation, such as 1D quantum wires or when quasiparticles have to go through a constriction, where there is a confinement. We don't measure or detect such individual quasiparticles, the way you are implying in many of your questions. That would be silly, because the whole concept of quasiparticles does not exist when we pull individual particles out of its many-body interactions.

Instead, we detect the evidence of fractionalization via several different signatures. We could, for example, detect a violation of the Wiedermann-Franz law that indicates that the thermal conductivity is different than the electrical conductivity. Or we could map out the dispersion of the spin currents and the charge currents, which was done for 1D Luttinger liquids.

Never in any of these were there any consideration of "an electron" or "a particle". In basic QM, one can say the analogue statement that in such a system, an "electron" is no longer a good quantum number.

I stumbled upon this document when I was looking for something to cite. It appears to be a term paper of some sort, but it has the necessary description and references. You should have discovered this if you did a similar search on spin-charge separation.

http://guava.physics.uiuc.edu/~nigel/courses/569/Essays_Fall2010/Files/Schubel.pdf

Zz.

Likes king vitamin, A. Neumaier and Philipsmett
ZapperZ said:
Your questions here showed your continued misunderstanding of the concept of "quasiparticles", because you are still thinking that these are actual "objects". this is incorrect, and other than suggesting that you look again at Landau's Fermi Liquid model, I don't know what else to do.

Spin-charge separation, or in general, fractionalization, occurs in "exotic" situation, such as 1D quantum wires or when quasiparticles have to go through a constriction, where there is a confinement. We don't measure or detect such individual quasiparticles, the way you are implying in many of your questions. That would be silly, because the whole concept of quasiparticles does not exist when we pull individual particles out of its many-body interactions.

Instead, we detect the evidence of fractionalization via several different signatures. We could, for example, detect a violation of the Wiedermann-Franz law that indicates that the thermal conductivity is different than the electrical conductivity. Or we could map out the dispersion of the spin currents and the charge currents, which was done for 1D Luttinger liquids.

Never in any of these were there any consideration of "an electron" or "a particle". In basic QM, one can say the analogue statement that in such a system, an "electron" is no longer a good quantum number.

I stumbled upon this document when I was looking for something to cite. It appears to be a term paper of some sort, but it has the necessary description and references. You should have discovered this if you did a similar search on spin-charge separation.

http://guava.physics.uiuc.edu/~nigel/courses/569/Essays_Fall2010/Files/Schubel.pdf

Zz.
if I understood correctly, then the quasiparticle appears only under certain conditions? For example, in a human skin or a tree, the quasiparticles do not appear?

Philipsmett said:
if I understood correctly, then the quasiparticle appears only under certain conditions? For example, in a human skin or a tree, the quasiparticles do not appear?

Question: what is the definition of "quasiparticles"?

I know what it is. I am not convinced that you do. So when you ask me a question such as this, no matter what answer I give you, will it make sense TO YOU, if you do not know what a quasiparticle is in the first place?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Question: what is the definition of "quasiparticles"?

I know what it is. I am not convinced that you do. So when you ask me a question such as this, no matter what answer I give you, will it make sense TO YOU, if you do not know what a quasiparticle is in the first place?

Zz.
I know what is a quasiparticle, but I can not find information, do they appear in all materials and at any temperature?

Philipsmett said:
I know what is a quasiparticle,

So tell me what you know, because I am not convinced that you do.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:

Zz.
Quasiparticle, in physics, a disturbance, in a medium, that behaves as a particle and that may conveniently be regarded as one.

Philipsmett said:
Quasiparticle, in physics, a disturbance, in a medium, that behaves as a particle and that may conveniently be regarded as one.

That is very vague and, in fact, rather meaningless. No wonder you are all over the place with this question.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:

Zz.
ZapperZ said:
That is very vague and, in fact, rather meaningless. No wonder you are all over the place with this question.

Zz.
can you better explain?

1. What is the role of electrons in materials?

Electrons play a crucial role in materials as they are responsible for the physical and chemical properties of the material. They determine the material's ability to conduct electricity, its strength, and its reactivity.

2. How do electrons interact with each other in materials?

Electrons interact with each other through electromagnetic forces, which can be attractive or repulsive. These interactions determine the behavior of electrons in materials, such as their movement and arrangement.

3. What is the difference between conductors, insulators, and semiconductors in terms of electron interactions?

Conductors have loosely bound electrons that can easily move around, allowing for the flow of electricity. Insulators have tightly bound electrons that do not move easily, making them poor conductors of electricity. Semiconductors have properties of both conductors and insulators, as their electrons can move under certain conditions.

4. How do temperature and pressure affect electron interactions in materials?

Temperature and pressure can significantly impact electron interactions in materials. At higher temperatures, electrons have more energy and can move around more freely, while at lower temperatures, they have less energy and are more restricted in their movement. Pressure can also change the distance between atoms, affecting the strength of electron interactions.

5. What is the significance of electron interactions in the development of new materials?

Understanding how electrons interact in different materials is crucial in the development of new materials with desired properties. By manipulating the electron interactions, scientists can create materials with specific characteristics, such as increased strength, improved conductivity, or enhanced reactivity.