How do I add x to both sides of 2/3x = -x + 5?

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter Casio1
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Casio1
Messages
86
Reaction score
0
I have not experienced this one before and would appreciate a little help.

2/3x - 3 = - x + 2
2/3x = - x + 5

Now how do I add x to the LHS, is it;

2/4x or 3/3x or am I completely off the mark?

Kind regards

Casio
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Casio said:
I have not experienced this one before and would appreciate a little help.

$\frac{2}{3}x - 3 = -x + 2$
$\frac{2}{3}x = -x + 5$

Now how do I add x to the LHS, is it;

$\frac{2}{4}x$ or $\frac{3}{3}x$ or am I completely off the mark?Kind regards

Casio

If you want to add $x$ to the LHS then the coefficient (number infront of x) must be 1. For fractions this means the top and the bottom must be the same value. $\frac{3x}{3}$ is a good choice in this case.

You may find it easier to multiply each term by three as your first step to clear the fraction altogether.