How do I attemp such a Question?

• Thread starter ilovephysicssomuch
  • Start date
In summary, in this conversation, a student is asking for help with a problem involving a horizontal string and its maximum power transmission. Another person suggests that the student show their own work before asking for help, and gives a hint about how to approach the problem. The student then asks for clarification and receives another hint. Another person joins the conversation and suggests that the student is overthinking the problem, and gives another hint about the doubling of the string. Finally, someone points out that doubling the string is the same as using two separate strings, leading to a solution for the problem.
ilovephysicssomuch
:confused: Can someone please help me?

A horizontal string can transmit a maximum power (without breaking) if a wave with amplitude A and angular frequency is traveling along it. To increase this maximum power, a student folds the string and uses this "double string" as a medium. Determine the maximum power that can be transmitted along the "double string" assuming that the tension is constant.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should really show some of your own work and ideas before asking a question in the homework section but I'll give you a hint: While the tension remains the same, both the length and the mass per unit length change. :)

If the string is being folded would its mass per unit length double and its length would decause by 1/2?

Hi, I need the help with the same problem,

Well I know that Power is equal to P = 1/2 (u)(w)^2(A)^2(v). And when string is doubled the tension stays the same and length is reduced by half and the mass per unit length is increased by two. So the new equation becomes: P = 1/4(u)(w)^2(A)^2(v). Is this a right answer? Or should I have done it somehow differently? Does v changes as well or stays the same?

Thanks

well..

That's wrong.. replace v by another equation and start from there.. the rest will just follow through.. Isn't your assignment due today at 1?

is due at 1pm or 9am?

Anyway what I got when string is doubled is

aplitude = A/2
Mass per unit length = 2u
speed =(T/2u)= 2^-0.5 v
angular frequence =2pi/9T/2) = 4pi/T = 4pi f
period = T/2
tension =4
P 1/2 (2u) (2pi f)^2 (A/2)^2 (2^-0.5 v) = u 16 (pi f)^2 (1/4) A^2(2^-0.5 v) = (2^-0.5)( u)(w^2)(A^2)(v)

you are making your life complicated... this question is doable according to your prof. You are thinking too hard.. it's a really simple question. you are messing with too many variables. just think about what the doubling is affecting.. sorry I cannot help.. I have class to get to.

ilovephysicssomuch said:
you are making your life complicated...
I agree. I don't think the half-length thing is part of the solution. The important thing is that the string is *doubled*. Hint -- is there a difference between doubling the string and running two separate strings? Unless you braid the two strings or something, I would think not. And if not, then how much more power can you transmit using two separate strings...?

1. How do I attempt a difficult question?

To attempt a difficult question, it is important to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Read the question carefully and identify the key concepts and keywords. Then, develop a plan or strategy for solving the question, such as creating a diagram or outlining the steps. Don't be afraid to ask for help or clarification if needed.

2. What should I do if I don't understand a question?

If you don't understand a question, don't panic. Take a deep breath and read the question again. Look for clues or context within the question that can help you understand it better. If you still don't understand, try breaking the question down into smaller parts or seeking assistance from a teacher or classmate.

3. How do I manage my time while attempting a question?

Time management is crucial when attempting a question. Start by setting a realistic time limit for yourself based on the difficulty level of the question. Then, prioritize the parts of the question that you know how to solve and those that may require more time or effort. Don't get stuck on one part for too long, and remember to leave some time for review and double-checking your work.

4. Should I show my work while attempting a question?

Yes, it is always a good idea to show your work while attempting a question. This not only helps you keep track of your thought process and steps, but it also allows you to go back and check for any mistakes or errors. Additionally, showing your work can earn you partial credit even if your final answer is not completely correct.

5. How can I stay calm and focused while attempting a question?

Staying calm and focused while attempting a question is key to success. Try to eliminate any distractions such as noise or your phone. Take a few deep breaths and remind yourself that you are capable of solving the question. If you feel overwhelmed or stuck, take a short break and come back to the question with a fresh perspective.