How do I calculate masses predicted by the force law equation

• Thread starter jonathanM111
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Law
In summary, the conversation is about a physics experiment involving plotting log of mass difference against log of distance. The original poster is having trouble understanding the instructions and is seeking help on how to calculate a theoretical value for the slope. One respondent suggests using the dipole equation and plotting log(m) against log(d) instead. The original poster then tries this and finds a similar slope on the graph, but questions why the manual says otherwise. Another respondent points out that the d-3 line is now straight, but the actual experiment data looks less convincing. The conversation ends with the original poster realizing that the exact equation may not be F∝d-3 and further discussion on the topic.
jonathanM111
IMG_20170903_164451.jpg
IMG_20170903_164502.jpg
IMG_20170903_164516.jpg
Screenshot_1.png
I have attached the problem and my attempt at solving it, there is a strange equation under the data analysis section that I do not understand. I'm and suppose to calculate a theoretical value for a slope and compare it to the one I have.

Physics news on Phys.org
https://www.physicsforums.com/conversations/locked-brainly-thread.131039/goto/post?id=5833956#post-5833956
I posted the question here on brainly https://brainly.com/question/4998386
first 3 attachments are the laboratory manual and the 4th is my attempt.

I wrote this response to your original thread, but it got locked before I could post...

I don't understand the directions you are given. Seems to me you should be plotting the log of the mass difference against the log of the distance.
Looks like you needed more precision in the mass measurements. The first half of your datapoints are useless because the mass difference is beyond the precision limit.
To answer your question, you need to compute the force predicted by the quoted law and infer the mass difference from that. However, the quoted law only specifies "is proportional to" so there will be an unknown constant factor. Since you are taking logs, that will show up on the graph as an unknown vertical displacement. This means you should slide the predicted line vertically to get the best fit with the plotted line from the measurements

Likes jonathanM111
haruspex said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/conversations/locked-brainly-thread.131039/goto/post?id=5833956#post-5833956

I wrote this response to your original thread, but it got locked before I could post...

I don't understand the directions you are given. Seems to me you should be plotting the log of the mass difference against the log of the distance.
Looks like you needed more precision in the mass measurements. The first half of your datapoints are useless because the mass difference is beyond the precision limit.
To answer your question, you need to compute the force predicted by the quoted law and infer the mass difference from that. However, the quoted law only specifies "is proportional to" so there will be an unknown constant factor. Since you are taking logs, that will show up on the graph as an unknown vertical displacement. This means you should slide the predicted line vertically to get the best fit with the plotted line from the measurements
hmm, you see, I was thinking the same but I can't seem to find a way to use the formula provided, I might be misunderstanding it but I've also looked up the equation Fαd-3 but I just can't find it anywhere. Finding the new data for the plot that's proportional to the log of mass vs distance is where I am stuck.

jonathanM111 said:
I've also looked up the equation Fαd-3
You mean F∝d-3, right? This looks like a dipole equation. This is because a bar magnet is effectively made of little dipoles all pointing the same way. See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_between_magnets.
This means mg=F=kd-3 for some unknown constant k.

Trust me, reinterpret the problem as plotting log(m) against log(d).
If you take logs of both sides of this equation, what do you get?

Likes jonathanM111
haruspex said:

okay so I think I figured it out F is proportional to the inverse distance cubed, that's what the expression says. Therefore I can calculate the the inverse of the distance cubed and take the log from it, if I plot this new line on the graph that I have they're pretty similar in terms of their slope, which is the dipole force.
Screenshot_2.png

jonathanM111 said:
okay so I think I figured it out F is proportional to the inverse distance cubed, that's what the expression says. Therefore I can calculate the the inverse of the distance cubed and take the log from it, if I plot this new line on the graph that I have they're pretty similar in terms of their slope, which is the dipole force.View attachment 210325
Ok, but please try plotting each against log(distance) instead of against distance.

Likes jonathanM111
haruspex said:
Ok, but please try plotting each against log(distance) instead of against distance.
this is how the two graphs look(theres more tables in this experiment) it does look correct how you say, why would the manual say otherwise?
Screenshot_5.png

haruspex said:
BTW I apologize for my sloppiness.

jonathanM111 said:
this is how the two graphs look(theres more tables in this experiment) it does look correct how you say, why would the manual say otherwise?View attachment 210332
As you can see, the d-3 line is now dead straight. This is why I thought log(d) is the right way. But, interestingly, the curves from the experiment look less convincing now. Either this is down to experimental error or the exact equation to match the experiment is not F∝d-3.
I think I see reasons it won't be quite that. For one thing, the far end of the horizontal magnet will have some effect. I'll get back to you.

Likes jonathanM111
haruspex said:
As you can see, the d-3 line is now dead straight. This is why I thought log(d) is the right way. But, interestingly, the curves from the experiment look less convincing now. Either this is down to experimental error or the exact equation to match the experiment is not F∝d-3.
I think I see reasons it won't be quite that. For one thing, the far end of the horizontal magnet will have some effect. I'll get back to you.
hmm, for your reference this is how they look they they're against plain distance.
Screenshot_6.png

Having looked into this some more, I suspect the whole question is flawed.
The dipole formula is an approximation which can be used when the lengths of the magnets are small compared with the distance between them, and even then assumes the magnets are end-to-end.
In the present case, it would be more accurate to treat the magnets as having a magnetic monopole at each end. This is still an approximation (the "Gilbert model"), but should work better here.
Unfortunately the vertical force equation gets quite messy, but to a first approximation it would be proportional to d-2, not d-3. Note that if you ignore your measurements with the largest d values the slope of the log-log graph is -2, or even a bit less.

Likes jonathanM111
Treating each magnet as consisting of a point magnetic "charge" (i.e. monopole) at each end, I obtained an expression for the force.
The image below shows the expression [as the Excel formula, 1/A2/A2-1/(1+A2)^2-A2/(1+A2*A2)^1.5+(1+A2)/(1+(1+A2)^2)^1.5], and a graph of ln(F*L^2) against ln(d/L), where L is the length of each magnet and d is the separation between their closest poles.
It exhibits a curvature similar to the one that you plotted from measurements. The straight line fit has a gradient closer to -2 than to -3.
For larger values of d/L the gradient steepens, with no obvious limit. I believe this is because the far pole of the horizontal magnet becomes significant, rapidly weakening the force as it counteracts the force on the near end.
For very small values of d/L it should converge to -2.

upload_2017-9-5_10-37-57.png

To get the d-3 relationship, the vertical magnet should be short compared with d, making it a simple dipole, but the horizontal magnet long compared with d, making it more like a monopole.

Likes jonathanM111

1. How do I calculate the mass using the force law equation?

To calculate the mass using the force law equation, you will need to rearrange the equation to solve for the mass. The equation is F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration. Rearranging the equation to solve for mass, we get m = F/a. Simply plug in the values for the force and acceleration, and you will have the mass.

2. What units should I use when calculating masses using the force law equation?

The units used for calculating masses using the force law equation will depend on the units used for force and acceleration. Generally, force is measured in Newtons (N) and acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2). Therefore, the unit for mass would be kilograms (kg) as it is derived from dividing Newtons by meters per second squared.

3. Can the force law equation be used for objects with varying masses?

Yes, the force law equation can be used for objects with varying masses. The equation is based on Newton's second law of motion, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration. Therefore, as long as the mass and acceleration of the object are known, the force law equation can be used to calculate the mass.

4. What if the force is not constant? Can I still use the force law equation to calculate mass?

The force law equation can only be used when the force is constant. If the force is not constant, you will need to use a different equation that takes into account the changing force, such as the work-energy theorem or the impulse-momentum theorem. These equations are more complex and may require more information about the object's motion.

5. How accurate is the force law equation in predicting masses?

The force law equation is a fundamental principle in physics and is accurate in predicting masses as long as the force and acceleration values are measured accurately. However, there may be other factors that can affect the accuracy of the predicted mass, such as air resistance or friction. In these cases, the equation may need to be adjusted or other equations may need to be used to account for these factors.