How do I calculate moment of inertia for a disk and ring combination?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Tom McCurdy
Messages
1,021
Reaction score
1
I was wondering how to start a. If I can get (a) I am pretty sure I can get b and c with not too much trouble

http://www.quantumninja.com/hw/random/problem6.jpg


I am really lost to how to even start this problem
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You did to do an integral over the volume [itex]\int \,dm*r^2 \,dv[/itex] where [itex]\,dm[/itex] is just the density of the material. The easiest way to do this I think would be to only do the above integral for one of the 4 quadrates and then times that answer by 4. r for one axes would be x and for the other would be y.
 
Ok I think I found the answer

for Moment of Inertia for

[tex]x= \frac{mab^3}{3}[/tex]

[tex]y= \frac{ma^3b}{4}[/tex]

Could someone show me how to derive these though??
 
Last edited:
A website... I don't have the url anymore... why is it incorrect?