Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I How do you calculate moment of inertia for circle?

1. Aug 13, 2017 #1
    Hey, not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here it goes. how do you calculate the moment of inertia for a circle that is not at its center of gravity. Im trying to find the moment of inertia for a complex shape made of many circles, and this seems like a good place to start. Forgive me if the answer is simple, because I have spent hours googling this question and have come up empty handed. I would greatly appreciate any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Around which axis? In general, with an integral, but sometimes there are some tricks to avoid this, like the parallel axis theorem.

4. Aug 13, 2017 #3
    This is in two dimensional space. So I think the z axis if I understand correctly.
    Edit:
    I also looked at that wiki page, but couldn't apply it in any useful way.

5. Aug 13, 2017 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What is unclear about the Wikipedia page?

6. Aug 14, 2017 #5
    Are you thinking of a reference point in the plane of the circle but not at the center of the circle?

A circle is a purely geometric figure, and as such, has no cg. It does have centroid; is that what you have in mind?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted