1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I How do you calculate moment of inertia for circle?

1. Aug 13, 2017 #1
    Hey, not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here it goes. how do you calculate the moment of inertia for a circle that is not at its center of gravity. Im trying to find the moment of inertia for a complex shape made of many circles, and this seems like a good place to start. Forgive me if the answer is simple, because I have spent hours googling this question and have come up empty handed. I would greatly appreciate any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Around which axis? In general, with an integral, but sometimes there are some tricks to avoid this, like the parallel axis theorem.

4. Aug 13, 2017 #3
    This is in two dimensional space. So I think the z axis if I understand correctly.
    Edit:
    I also looked at that wiki page, but couldn't apply it in any useful way.

5. Aug 13, 2017 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What is unclear about the Wikipedia page?

6. Aug 14, 2017 #5
    Are you thinking of a reference point in the plane of the circle but not at the center of the circle?

A circle is a purely geometric figure, and as such, has no cg. It does have centroid; is that what you have in mind?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted