How do I calculate moment of inertia in a wheel?

In summary: I want to find the moment of inertia in the center of the axle, so I'll need the MMOI around the reference axis of the axle.
shannonxtreme
What I have are two wheels, weight assumed at 50 kg overall for both, joined by an axle. The wheels are 900 mm apart from the centre of one tire to the centre of the other. The diameter of the tire is 690 mm. How do I calculate the moment of inertia in order to find the torque in the centre of the axle?

For the torque calculation I know the angular acceleration is -0.43rads^-2

Engineering news on Phys.org
shannonxtreme said:
What I have are two wheels, weight assumed at 50 kg overall for both, joined by an axle. The wheels are 900 mm apart from the centre of one tire to the centre of the other. The diameter of the tire is 690 mm. How do I calculate the moment of inertia in order to find the torque in the centre of the axle?

For the torque calculation I know the angular acceleration is -0.43rads^-2

For a real system like that, you would either use FEA modeling or do a physical test. Do you have access to a dyno?

EDIT -- Or do you have access to the physical system? You can use a falling weight on a rope to calculate the moment of inertia MOI with an experiment...

berkeman said:
For a real system like that, you would either use FEA modeling or do a physical test. Do you have access to a dyno?
Nope, I do not have access to any testing equipment right now. I'm assuming its a perfect system, just need the theory right now. Testing and implementation when I have access to materials :)

How much experience do you have with MOI calculations? You can approximate the MOI with several component pieces...

Little to no experience other than basic theory. I'm doing this as my final project for my bachelors, and my project supervisor says I don't need to make it over complex because I just don't have the experience

shannonxtreme said:
Little to no experience other than basic theory. I'm doing this as my final project for my bachelors, and my project supervisor says I don't need to make it over complex because I just don't have the experience

So model the system with a series of disks and shafts, and add up the MOIs of the components. They add linearly.

So model the axle as a shaft, the wheels as disks, and the tires as a combination of disks and the outer bands. Each component will have the appropriate density (steel or rubber). Does that seem do-able?

berkeman said:
So model the system with a series of disks and shafts, and add up the MOIs of the components. They add linearly.

So model the axle as a shaft, the wheels as disks, and the tires as a combination of disks and the outer bands. Each component will have the appropriate density (steel or rubber). Does that seem do-able?
That actually does! Thanks a million! I won't be able to do that for my interim report tomorrow but this will help a great deal :)

Likes berkeman
What MMOI do you want to find? What is your reference axis?

1. What is moment of inertia in a wheel?

The moment of inertia in a wheel is a measure of its resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is the sum of the products of each particle's mass and the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated in a wheel?

The moment of inertia in a wheel can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the wheel by the square of its radius. It is also affected by the distribution of mass in the wheel, so the shape and size of the wheel must also be taken into account.

3. What is the formula for calculating moment of inertia in a wheel?

The formula for calculating moment of inertia in a wheel is I = mr^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the wheel, and r is the radius of the wheel. This is a simplified formula and may not be applicable to more complex wheel designs.

4. How do I find the moment of inertia of a wheel with multiple masses?

To find the moment of inertia of a wheel with multiple masses, you must first calculate the individual moments of inertia for each mass. Then, you can add these moments together to get the total moment of inertia for the wheel.

5. How does the moment of inertia affect the performance of a wheel?

The moment of inertia can affect the performance of a wheel in various ways. A higher moment of inertia means the wheel will be harder to start and stop rotating, but it will also maintain its speed better. Lower moments of inertia can result in faster acceleration and deceleration, but the wheel may not maintain its speed as well. The distribution of mass in the wheel also plays a role in its overall performance.