How to Calculate Moment of Inertia for a Solid Disk with Central Hole

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
bcalkins
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Consider a solid disk made of aluminum with a central hole as shown in the figure - can't include...don't believe it's necessary. The external and internal diameters are found to be 13 inches and 0.6 inches. The disk is 0.5 inch thick. The density of aluminum is 2.70 g/cm3. Question:
Calculate the moment of inertia of this disk for rotations about its axle, in kg m2.

I have no idea how to determine the mass of a disk. I believe to determine the moment of inertia I use the formula Mxr^2

Formulas would be VERY much appreciated. I have several more problems on this pre-lab that are similar to this question. Thank you very much!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Think of 2.7g/cm3 as a formula to find mass if you have volume in cm3. Therefore maybe start with finding the volume of the disk.