How do I calculate these questions relating to roots of quadratic equation?

In summary, the two given equations have the solutions of -4-c and 9-k, respectively. The first question can be solved by using the sum and product of roots, while the second one can be solved by converting the equation into two separate ones and using the given roots.
eureka_beyond

Homework Statement

These two questions are very similar:
1) Let c be a constant. If a and b are the roots of the equation x^2 + 2x - c = 0
then 2b-a^2 = ?

2) Let k be a constant. If a and b are the roots of the equation x^2 - 3x + k = 0
Then a^2 + 3b = ?

Homework Equations

The answer to these 2 questions are -4-c and 9-k.

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first one, I was thinking about using the sum of roots and product of roots, I know that a+ b is -2 and ab must be c, but I don't know how to convert 2b-a^2 into a new equation that only consists of a+b and ab . I used another approach, which is to turn the equation into 2 separate ones by knowing the two roots given, a^2 + 2a - c = 0 and b^2 + 2b - c = 0. Then after some change of subject, I'll know that a^2 = c-2a and 2b = c-b^2 . But if I put in these two together, 2b-a^2 will equal to c-(b^2)-c+2a, which will finally give 2a-b^2, which doesn't really solve the problem...
I thought of another way, which is to let those unknowns to be a random number. Since this is a multiple choice question, I can get the answer by try and error. However, I was thinking if there's a better way.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first approach was right. a+b=(-2). So b=(-2)-a. 2b-a^2=2(-2-a)-a^2=(-4)-(2a+a^2). Now finish up.

I would suggest using the quadratic formula to solve these equations. The quadratic formula is a general formula for finding the roots of a quadratic equation, which can be written as ax^2 + bx + c = 0. The formula is:

x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a

In the first equation, x^2 + 2x - c = 0, we can see that a = 1, b = 2, and c = -c. Plugging these values into the quadratic formula, we get:

x = (-2 ± √(2^2 - 4(1)(-c))) / 2(1)
x = (-2 ± √(4 + 4c)) / 2
x = (-2 ± 2√(1 + c)) / 2
x = (-1 ± √(1 + c))

Since a and b are the roots of this equation, we can substitute them into the formula to get:

a = (-1 + √(1 + c))
b = (-1 - √(1 + c))

Now, we can plug these values into the expressions we are trying to solve:

2b - a^2 = 2(-1 - √(1 + c)) - (-1 + √(1 + c))^2
= -2 - 2√(1 + c) - (1 + c + 2√(1 + c))
= -2 - 1 - c - 2√(1 + c) - 2√(1 + c)
= -3 - c - 4√(1 + c)

Using the same approach for the second equation, x^2 - 3x + k = 0, we get:

a = (3 + √(9 - 4k)) / 2
b = (3 - √(9 - 4k)) / 2

Plugging these values into the expression, we get:

a^2 + 3b = (3 + √(9 - 4k))^2 / 4 + 3((3 - √(9 - 4k)) / 2)
= (9 + 6√(9 - 4k) + (9 - 4k

1. How do I find the roots of a quadratic equation?

To find the roots of a quadratic equation, use the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b²-4ac)) / 2a, where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the quadratic equation in the form ax² + bx + c = 0.

2. Can I use any other method to calculate the roots of a quadratic equation?

Yes, you can also use factoring or completing the square methods to find the roots of a quadratic equation. However, the quadratic formula is the most efficient and reliable method.

3. How do I know if a quadratic equation has real or complex roots?

A quadratic equation will have real roots if the discriminant (b²-4ac) is greater than or equal to 0. If the discriminant is less than 0, the quadratic equation will have complex roots.

4. Can the quadratic formula be used for all types of quadratic equations?

Yes, the quadratic formula can be used for all types of quadratic equations, whether they are in standard form, vertex form, or intercept form.

5. What is the significance of the discriminant in finding the roots of a quadratic equation?

The discriminant helps determine the nature of the roots of a quadratic equation. If the discriminant is positive, the equation will have two distinct real roots. If it is zero, the equation will have one real root. And if it is negative, the equation will have two complex roots.