How do I calculate this on a TI-89?

• Calculators
  • Thread starter x→∞
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ti-89
In summary, the speaker found out that their TI-89 calculator had a booklet explaining how to use it, and they were able to successfully use the integrate function to solve a problem. They also mentioned exploring other features, such as summations, for their pre-calculus class. They expressed gratitude for the helpful information.
x→∞
[tex] f(x) = 2x^3 [1,3] [/tex]

[tex] \int_1^3 2xdx [/tex]

Computer science news on Phys.org
My TI-89 came with a booklet, such things were described there.

I would be not surprised if the same booklet is available from the TI site.

But I don't feel like checking now, so I just tried integrate(2x^3,x,1,3) - and it worked.

Borek said:
My TI-89 came with a booklet, such things were described there.

I would be not surprised if the same booklet is available from the TI site.

But I don't feel like checking now, so I just tried integrate(2x^3,x,1,3) - and it worked.

It works, I never knew you could do that. I went on to summations, etc., as I am in Pre-Calculus and we go through all the steps, definition of integral and the such...

Thanks!

1. What is the correct syntax for entering a calculation on a TI-89?

To enter a calculation on a TI-89, you must use the proper syntax which involves using parentheses, brackets, and the appropriate mathematical symbols. For example, to calculate the square root of 25, you would enter "sqrt(25)".

2. How do I access the "Math" menu on a TI-89?

To access the "Math" menu on a TI-89, press the "2nd" button followed by the "F1" button. This will bring up a menu with various mathematical operations and functions that can be used in your calculations.

3. How do I save and recall previous calculations on a TI-89?

To save and recall previous calculations on a TI-89, you can use the "Ans" button. This will recall the answer from the previous calculation and allow you to use it in your current calculation. You can also use the "STO" button to store values and recall them later.

4. Can I use variables in calculations on a TI-89?

Yes, you can use variables in calculations on a TI-89. To enter a variable, use the "Var" button followed by the letter of the variable you want to use. You can also use the "Alpha" button to access the full alphabet and enter variables with different letters.

5. How do I perform statistical calculations on a TI-89?

To perform statistical calculations on a TI-89, you can use the "Stats/List Editor" by pressing the "Apps" button. This will bring up a menu where you can enter and manipulate data for various statistical functions. You can also use the "Catalog" button to access and enter specific statistical functions directly into your calculation.