TI 89 Integral seems wrong.... What am I missing?

• Calculators
  • Thread starter jdcirbo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about the discrepancies in the output of a TI 89 Platinum calculator for the calculation of ln(abs(cos(x))/abs(sin(x)-1)) for the integral sec(x)dx. It is supposed to return ln(abs(tan(x)+sec(x)) or ln(abs(sin(x)+1)/abs(cos(x))), but when x=0 is entered, it gives an "undefined" result instead of 0. The question is whether this is a computation error or a syntax issue with TI Basic. However, the conversation ends with an update that the calculator is now giving the correct output of 0 for x=0.
jdcirbo
My TI 89 Platinum is returning ln(abs(cos(x))/abs(sin(x)-1)) for integral sec(x)dx. It's supposed to return ln(abs(tan(x)+sec(x)) or ln(abs(sin(x)+1)/abs(cos(x))). If you enter x=0, you get 'undefined' the way my TI 89 is doing it. It's supposed to return 0. Is this a computation error or something with the syntax of how TI Basic computes integrals?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Ln(abs(sin(x)+1)/abs(cos(x))) = Ln(abs(cos(x))/abs(sin(x)-1))

And abs sin / abs cos = abs tan

Baluncore said:
Ln(abs(sin(x)+1)/abs(cos(x))) = Ln(abs(cos(x))/abs(sin(x)-1))
I don't understand why I'm getting a "non-real result" from the calculation when I enter x=0. Why is that occurring? It should be the same regardless of which form it's written in.

jdcirbo said:
My TI 89 Platinum is returning ln(abs(cos(x))/abs(sin(x)-1)) for integral sec(x)dx. It's supposed to return ln(abs(tan(x)+sec(x)) or ln(abs(sin(x)+1)/abs(cos(x))). If you enter x=0, you get 'undefined' the way my TI 89 is doing it. It's supposed to return 0. Is this a computation error or something with the syntax of how TI Basic computes integrals?
UPDATE: Just to make me look like a liar... Now my TI 89 is returning 0 for x=0... ? It was returning "Non-real result" before.

Is the battery charge good?

1. Why does my TI 89 calculator show a different answer for the integral than what I calculated by hand?

This could be due to a couple of reasons. First, make sure that you are entering the integral correctly into your calculator. Sometimes, small mistakes in inputting the function or limits can result in a different answer. Additionally, the TI 89 calculator uses numerical integration methods to calculate the integral, which can result in a slightly different answer than the analytical solution. Finally, if your function is complex or has discontinuities, the calculator may not be able to accurately calculate the integral.

2. Can I change the accuracy or precision of the integral calculation on my TI 89 calculator?

Yes, you can change the accuracy settings on your calculator to increase the precision of the integral calculation. Press "MODE" and select "Exact/Approx" to change the settings. Keep in mind that increasing the accuracy may result in longer calculation times.

3. Why does my TI 89 calculator show "Math Error" when I try to calculate an integral?

This error typically occurs when the function you are trying to integrate is not supported by the calculator or when the integral cannot be calculated using numerical methods. Make sure that your function is entered correctly and that it can be integrated using the calculator's capabilities.

4. Can I use the TI 89 calculator to solve definite integrals?

Yes, the TI 89 calculator can solve both indefinite and definite integrals. To calculate a definite integral, make sure to enter the function and the limits of integration correctly. The calculator will give you the numerical value of the integral within the specified limits.

5. Is there a way to check if my TI 89 calculator's integral calculation is correct?

Yes, you can check your integral calculation by comparing it to the analytical solution or by using other methods such as graphing the function and calculating the area under the curve. You can also use online integral calculators to verify your answer.