1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I check if it is a positive charge or negative charge?

1. Mar 1, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    s5kahj.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The electric field at the origin O, due to charges Q, q1 and q2, is equal to zero
    Hence , EQ = Eq1
    q = cos30 x 300 x10^-9/4 * 1.8^2 = 210 x10^-9 C

So I am able to find out that q = 210 x 10^-9 C and that mean that B and C cannot be the answer which left me with A and D.

How do I check if it is a positive charge or negative charge?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2015 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The x component at the origin due to Q is what polarity? So the polarity of Ex due to q1 has to be the opposite, right? So what then does the polarity of q1 have to be?

4. Mar 1, 2015 #3
    Why does it has to be opposite for the polarity of Ex due to q1?

5. Mar 1, 2015 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

because the net E field at the origin is zero so q1 has to cancel out the x component of Q.

6. Mar 1, 2015 #5
    What about the q2 at the y component?

7. Mar 2, 2015 #6

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

q2 does not produce an x compnent of the E field at the origin. You are summing x components of E at the origin.

By the way, you can also solve this problem with summing y components of E = 0 at the origin. I suggest you do it for increased understanding.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted