How do I choose the correct angle when graphing vectors from unit notation?

In summary, the angle of a vector in unit notation can be determined using the inverse tangent function and can be converted to degrees if needed. Unit notation is not always necessary for graphing vectors and there are other methods available. The angle represents the direction of the vector and should result in a vector with the correct magnitude and direction. A protractor can be used to measure the angle on a graph, but the graph must be drawn to scale for accuracy.
tunze

Homework Statement

Draw the following vector. Label the angle that specifies the vector's direction, then find its magnitude and direction.

Homework Equations

vector a = 2.0i - 6.0j

The Attempt at a Solution

I get stuck here:

oyYPT.png

I don't know which angle to use.

Physics news on Phys.org
I used the red one but the back of the book uses the brown one :/

1. How do I determine the angle when graphing vectors from unit notation?

The angle of a vector can be determined using the inverse tangent function (arctan) of the vector's y-coordinate over its x-coordinate. This will give you the angle in radians, which can then be converted to degrees if needed.

2. Do I always need to graph vectors from unit notation?

No, unit notation is just one way of representing a vector. It is often used when dealing with physics or geometry problems, but there are other methods of representing vectors that may be more appropriate in certain situations.

3. What is the significance of the angle when graphing vectors from unit notation?

The angle represents the direction of the vector. In unit notation, the angle is measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis.

4. How do I know if I have chosen the correct angle when graphing vectors from unit notation?

The correct angle will result in a vector that has the correct magnitude and direction as specified in the unit notation. If the vector does not match the given information, then the angle is likely incorrect.

5. Can I use a protractor to measure the angle when graphing vectors from unit notation?

Yes, a protractor can be used to measure the angle of a vector on a graph. However, it is important to make sure that the graph is drawn to scale in order to get an accurate measurement.