1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I compute magnetic flux?

1. Aug 23, 2009 #1
    A circular loop (with a radius of 10 cm) rotattes in a constant magnetic fiels, which has a magnitude of 1 T. At an instant when the angle between the magnetic field and the normal axis (to the plane of the loop) is equal to 10 degrees and is increasing at a rate of 20 degrees/s, what is the magnitude of the induced emf in the loop?

How do I compute magnetic flux? ( I know that farady's law can be used to find emf)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2009 #2
    Re: Emf

Firstly, what do you understand by "magnetic flux"?

4. Aug 23, 2009 #3

It is the product of magnetic field, B and perpendicular surface area to B, A.

I know B which is 1 T, how do I get A especially the angle.

5. Aug 23, 2009 #4

Consider the projection of the surface area of the loop onto the plane perpendicular to the magnetic field (sort of like the 'shadow'). (You can consider the loop in 2D - a straight line to simplify the analysis)

6. Aug 23, 2009 #5

So is A = pi * r * r cos(10 deg + 20 deg * t) correct?

7. Aug 23, 2009 #6

That would be the correct A (perpendicular) for any time t if the rate of increase remains constant over time. However, it would not help you solve the problem. You should formulate it in a generic fashion: A = pi * r * r cos (theta), solve for dA/dt, before substituting the relevant values in to obtain the solution at that point.

8. Aug 24, 2009 #7

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

At any instant the magnetic flux φ = B*A*cosθ.
    So induced emf e = - dφ/dt = -(-B*A*sinθ*dθ/dt )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook