Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I create a web page for free?

1. Oct 14, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How do I create a web page for free?

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution
    Do I need an editor for this? If so, how can I get one?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Since you used a computer to write your post then you must have an editor available.

Windows OS has notepad, an extremely basic editor.

MacOSX has TextEdit or vim...

From there some knowledge of html tags and web page formatting is required.

You read more about it here:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Html

4. Oct 14, 2014 #3
    So can I use the notepad to create a web page for free?

5. Oct 14, 2014 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, but you have to find a HOST for it, and that can be free if you look around. A web page sitting on your desktop (or laptop) isn't going to do you much good, except as an exercise in creating one.

6. Oct 14, 2014 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

so true

I have always used notepad in windows to do all the html editing for my www site ... It may not be the prettiest editor
    but it works well for me

There are a number of www hosting sites that are free. They are free because
    1) you have to live with their advertising
    2) their help service may be somewhere between zero and non-existent
    3) they have regular drop outs of service ( ie .. .your www page being unavailable)

Dave

7. Oct 14, 2014 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Or
    a) They are offered as part of a different contract (internet access, job-related, ...)
    and none of the above applies.

Finding someone to host the website is the more interesting part. A text editor is not hard to find. Depending on the goal of the website, you can also look at existing packages that do a lot of formatting and so on for you so you do not have to start from scratch.

8. Oct 14, 2014 #7

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I have found notepad++ to be an excellent (and free) replacement for notepad. It has MANY more useful features including syntax highlighting for HTML

9. Oct 14, 2014 #8
    There are many sites that offer free hosting and one good example is dyndns.org. Here is a tutorial

If you don't know HTML or are more interested in "quick, pretty and feature-full" there are quite a few free tools available. The big 3 are Apache Web Server, PHP, and MariaDB (a free spinoff by the originator of MySQL which was "appropriated"). If you project is ambitious there are apps that integrate other tools. These are harder to find for free but some are not absurdly priced. An old windows example would be Cold Fusion.

Not quite in the same league as Cold Fusion is (or was... can't recall if it still exists) PHP Scripts. These are blocks of code somewhat analogous to Legos. There really is no need to write code for a radio button, for example, when it has been done so many times. Just drop one in that you like and move on. Here's some http://www.hotscripts.com/category/scripts/php/scripts-programs/

10. Oct 14, 2014 #9

jedishrfu

If you want to explore internet programming there's node.js where you get to write javascript code for the web application server and javascript code to make your web page more interactive.

11. Oct 15, 2014 #10

jtbell

It depends on your reasons for wanting to create the page. If you simply have some information that you want to put on the web, and you have a Google account (Gmail, Youtube, etc.), you can use Google Sites. You fill out forms that generate the pages, and you have options for different layouts, visual themes, etc. No HTML code at all is needed. You get a certain amount of space for free.

However, if you ever want to move the information to another (non-Google) site, you can't export the pages, as far as I can tell. You have to take the information and create new pages from scratch on the new site. And you can't take complete HTML pages that were written for another site, and drop them into a Google site. You have to copy and paste information into the Google Site forms.

If you want to learn HTML, CSS, PHP, etc., and be able to move the code from one site to another, you'll have to use a traditional web-hosting setup.

12. Oct 15, 2014 #11
    Thank you so much, guys!

13. Oct 15, 2014 #12

jtbell

In fact, you can even run your own web-host by installing web server software like Apache on your computer. I have a complete copy of my hobby web site on my Mac, which runs Apache in the background. I can call up a page in my browser with a URL like http://localhost/path/to/my/page.html [Broken]. I can edit the HTML code with a text editor, save my changes, click over to the browser window, hit the "Refresh" button, and see the result. And nobody else can see my mistakes. When I finally get things the way I want, I upload the finished page to my real web-host.

People often install the combination Apache + MySQL + PHP using a package designed specifically for Windows (WAMP), MacOS (MAMP), or Linux (LAMP). Do a Google search on something like "WAMP server" and you'll probably turn up some packages and lots of how-to's. This would be a good way to learn how to code all that stuff.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  14. Oct 16, 2014 #13
    I would reccomend Brackets: brackets.io . Pretty, powerful, free, open source, lots of features, and extensions, the list goes on and on.

15. Oct 16, 2014 #14
  16. Oct 16, 2014 #15

jedishrfu

Brackets looks interesting thanks for posting.

17. Oct 16, 2014 #16
    It is imho the best text editor out there, and i have use many.

18. Oct 16, 2014 #17

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I've just been looking it over and in some regards (general flat file editing) it is not as good as notepad++ but for HTML it is clearly better. Thanks for posting about it :)

19. Oct 16, 2014 #18
    Yes but vim is crunchy! :cool:

20. Oct 16, 2014 #19
    Hmm... I could never really get into vim, but maybe ill give it another try. That shift-semicolon thing looks AMAZING.
    Also: Semi-relevant xkcd: http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/workflow.png

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  21. Oct 16, 2014 #20
    57436ecaa4fc374dd70b4353178b52e8.jpg
    Humor! Har Har :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook