1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I derive the Covariant Derivative for Covectors? (Lower index)

1. May 1, 2013 #1
    Hello everyone!

I'm trying to learn the derivation the covariant derivative for a covector, but I can't seem to find it.

I am trying to derive this:

[itex]\nabla_{α} V_{μ} = \partial_{α} V_{μ} - \Gamma^{β}_{αμ} V_{β}[/itex]

If this is a definition, I want to know why it works with the definition of the covariant derivative of a vector:

[itex]\nabla_{α} V^{μ} = \partial_{α} V^{μ} + \Gamma^{μ}_{αβ} V^{β}[/itex]

Why is the Christoffel symbol negative for a covector? Can anyone explain this to me?

Thank you all so much.

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2013 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try working out [itex]\nabla_\alpha \left( V^\mu V_\mu \right)[/itex] a couple of different ways:

1) Using the product rule for covariant derivatives;

2) using the fact that [itex]V^\mu V_\mu[/itex] is a scalar.

4. May 1, 2013 #3
    This is one of the leads I found here, but I don't know how to progress.

Right now, I am here:

[itex]V^{μ} \nabla_{α} V_{μ} = \partial_{α} (V^{μ} V_{μ}) - V_{μ} \partial_{α} V^{μ} - V_{μ} \Gamma^{μ}_{αβ} V^{β}[/itex]

Here are some questions I have:

I understand that [itex]V^{μ} V_{μ}[/itex] is a scalar, so what is the partial derivative of it? I tried to do it with zero if it is independent of α but it doesn't look like it leads to the covariant derivative.

Also, how do I remove the [itex]V^{μ}[/itex] on the LHS? Do I multiply by [itex]V_{μ}[/itex]?

5. May 1, 2013 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Use the product rule for partial derivatives.

You don't have to remove it; you need to relabel indices in the last term on the right side.

6. May 1, 2013 #5
    I don't know what two terms I would use in the product rule. Once I separate the vector and covector I can't use the partial derivative anymore (or so I think). Can you explain to me how I would use the product rule in this case?

I see what you mean, however, without knowing the partial derivative I don't know what I can do with this yet.

7. May 1, 2013 #6

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am not sure what you mean. More explicitly: use the product rule for partial derivatives on [itex]\partial_\alpha \left( V^\mu V_\mu \right)[/itex].

8. May 1, 2013 #7
    Oh, now I get it!

For those reading this in the future, this is what I got:

[itex] \partial_{α} (V^{μ} V_{μ}) = V^{μ} \partial_{α} V_{μ} + V_{μ} \partial_{α} V^{μ} [/itex]

Thus,

[itex] V^{μ} \nabla_{α} V_{μ} = V^{μ} \partial_{α} V_{μ} + V_{μ} \partial_{α} V^{μ} - V_{μ} \partial_{α} V^{μ} - V_{μ} \Gamma^{μ}_{αβ} V^{β} [/itex]

So [itex]V_{μ} \partial_{α} V^{μ}[/itex] cancels out, and we have [itex] V^{μ} \nabla_{α} V_{μ} = V^{μ} \partial_{α} V_{μ} - V_{μ} \Gamma^{μ}_{αβ} V^{β} [/itex].

We can rewrite [itex]V_{μ} \Gamma^{μ}_{αβ} V^{β}[/itex] as [itex]V^{β} \Gamma^{μ}_{αβ} V_{μ} [/itex].

Since [itex]μ[/itex] and [itex]β[/itex] are arbitrary indices, we can swap them around.

Thus, [itex] V^{β} \Gamma^{μ}_{αβ} V_{μ} = V^{μ} \Gamma^{β}_{αμ} V_{β} [/itex], and

[itex] V^{μ} \nabla_{α} V_{μ} = V^{μ} \partial_{α} V_{μ} - V^{μ} \Gamma^{β}_{αμ} V_{β} [/itex].

Eliminating [itex]V^{μ}[/itex], we reach the desired result:

[itex]\nabla_{α} V_{μ} = \partial_{α} V_{μ} - \Gamma^{β}_{αμ} V_{β} [/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted