1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Checking derivation of the curvature tensor

1. Aug 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to derive the curvature tensor by finding the commutator of two covariant derivatives. I think I've got it, but my head is spinning with Nablas and indices. Would anyone be willing to check my work? Thanks

2. Relevant equations
    I am trying to derive the curvature tensor by finding the commutator of two covariant derivatives: $$\nabla_{c}\nabla_{b}V_{a}-\nabla_{b}\nabla_{c}V_{a}.$$
    The covariant derivative of ##V_{a}## is given by$$\nabla_{b}V_{a}=\partial_{b}V_{a}-\Gamma_{ab}^{d}V_{d}.$$

3. The attempt at a solution

Start by taking another covariant derivative: $$\nabla_{c}\nabla_{b}V_{a}=\partial_{c}\left(\nabla_{b}V_{a}\right)-\Gamma_{ac}^{e}\nabla_{b}V_{e}-\Gamma_{bc}^{e}\nabla_{e}V_{a}.$$
    For the first right-hand side term $$\partial_{c}\left(\nabla_{b}V_{a}\right)=\partial_{c}\partial_{b}V_{a}-\partial_{c}\left(\Gamma_{ab}^{d}V_{d}\right).$$
    Then using the product rule I get $$\partial_{c}\left(\nabla_{b}V_{a}\right)=\partial_{c}\partial_{b}V_{a}-\partial_{c}\left(\Gamma_{ab}^{d}\right)V_{d}-\partial_{c}\left(V_{d}\right)\Gamma_{ab}^{d}.$$
    For the second right-hand side term
    $$-\Gamma_{ac}^{e}\nabla_{b}V_{e}=-\Gamma_{ac}^{e}\left(\partial_{b}V_{e}-\Gamma_{eb}^{d}V_{d}\right).$$
    And for the third right-hand side term $$-\Gamma_{bc}^{e}\nabla_{e}V_{a}=-\Gamma_{bc}^{e}\left(\partial_{e}V_{a}-\Gamma_{ae}^{d}V_{d}\right).$$
    Put all these together to get $$\nabla_{c}\nabla_{b}V_{a}=\partial_{c}\partial_{b}V_{a}-\partial_{c}\left(\Gamma_{ab}^{d}\right)V_{d}-\partial_{c}\left(V_{d}\right)\Gamma_{ab}^{d}-\Gamma_{ac}^{e}\left(\partial_{b}V_{e}-\Gamma_{eb}^{d}V_{d}\right)-\Gamma_{bc}^{e}\left(\partial_{e}V_{a}-\Gamma_{ae}^{d}V_{d}\right).$$
    Interchanging ##b## and ##c##
    gives $$\nabla_{b}\nabla_{c}V_{a}=\partial_{b}\partial_{c}V_{a}-\partial_{b}\left(\Gamma_{ac}^{d}\right)V_{d}-\partial_{b}\left(V_{d}\right)\Gamma_{ac}^{d}-\Gamma_{ab}^{e}\left(\partial_{c}V_{e}-\Gamma_{ec}^{d}V_{d}\right)-\Gamma_{cb}^{e}\left(\partial_{e}V_{a}-\Gamma_{ae}^{d}V_{d}\right).$$
    Subtract one from the other: $$\nabla_{c}\nabla_{b}V_{a}-\nabla_{b}\nabla_{c}V_{a}=\partial_{c}\partial_{b}V_{a}-\partial_{c}\left(\Gamma_{ab}^{d}\right)V_{d}-\partial_{c}\left(V_{d}\right)\Gamma_{ab}^{d}-\Gamma_{ac}^{e}\left(\partial_{b}V_{e}-\Gamma_{eb}^{d}V_{d}\right)-\Gamma_{bc}^{e}\left(\partial_{e}V_{a}-\Gamma_{ae}^{d}V_{d}\right)-
    \left(\partial_{b}\partial_{c}V_{a}-\partial_{b}\left(\Gamma_{ac}^{d}\right)V_{d}-\partial_{b}\left(V_{d}\right)\Gamma_{ac}^{d}-\Gamma_{ab}^{e}\left(\partial_{c}V_{e}-\Gamma_{ec}^{d}V_{d}\right)-\Gamma_{cb}^{e}\left(\partial_{e}V_{a}-\Gamma_{ae}^{d}V_{d}\right)\right).$$
    Multiplying out the brackets in the second line gives $$\partial_{c}\partial_{b}V_{a}-\partial_{c}\left(\Gamma_{ab}^{d}\right)V_{d}-\partial_{c}\left(V_{d}\right)\Gamma_{ab}^{d}-\Gamma_{ac}^{e}\partial_{b}V_{e}+\Gamma_{ac}^{e}\Gamma_{eb}^{d}V_{d}-\Gamma_{bc}^{e}\partial_{e}V_{a}+\Gamma_{bc}^{e}\Gamma_{ae}^{d}V_{d}-
    \left(\partial_{b}\partial_{c}V_{a}-\partial_{b}\left(\Gamma_{ac}^{d}\right)V_{d}-\partial_{b}\left(V_{d}\right)\Gamma_{ac}^{d}-\Gamma_{ab}^{e}\partial_{c}V_{e}+\Gamma_{ab}^{e}\Gamma_{ec}^{d}V_{d}-\Gamma_{cb}^{e}\partial_{e}V_{a}+\Gamma_{cb}^{e}\Gamma_{ae}^{d}V_{d}\right).$$
    Note that ##\Gamma_{ac}^{e}\partial_{b}V_{e}=\Gamma_{ab}^{e}\partial_{c}V_{e}## and ##\partial_{c}\left(V_{d}\right)\Gamma_{ab}^{d}=\partial_{b}\left(V_{d}\right)\Gamma_{ac}^{d}##
    (because of the definition of ##\frac{\partial e_{x}}{\partial x^{z}}=\Gamma_{xz}^{y}e_{y}).##
    I then end up with $$\nabla_{c}\nabla_{b}V_{a}-\nabla_{b}\nabla_{c}V_{a}=\left(\partial_{b}\left(\Gamma_{ac}^{d}\right)-\partial_{c}\left(\Gamma_{ab}^{d}\right)+\Gamma_{ac}^{e}\Gamma_{eb}^{d}-\Gamma_{ab}^{e}\Gamma_{ec}^{d}\right)V_{d}.$$
    The expression inside the brackets on the rhs is the Riemann tensor, meaning $$\nabla_{c}\nabla_{b}V_{a}-\nabla_{b}\nabla_{c}V_{a}=R_{\phantom{\mu}abc}^{d}V_{d}.$$

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2015 #2

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

It looks like more or less the right thing. I'm not going to go through the details. This is "textbook" stuff that you can find in lots of different differential geometry texts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted