How do I do log to the base 2?

In summary, on my calculator I have a log button which is log to the base 10 and I also have a natural log button. How do I input log to the base 2 on a calculator?So far the only way I know is to go log(x)/log2 = y for instance if I'm trying to find log to the base 2 of the number 24. I go log24/log2 = 4.58. But this is time consuming when you have a long equation with lots of log to the base to 2's in it. My calculator is a Casio fx-9750G Plus.Well one could ask the same question for log of any reasonable base. I'm sure they didn't bother adding
joebloggs
On my calculator I have a log button which is log to the base 10 and I also have a natural log button. How do I input log to the base 2 on a calculator?

So far the only way I know is to go log(x)/log2 = y

for instance if I'm trying to find log to the base 2 of the number 24
I go log24/log2 = 4.58

But this is time consuming when you have a long equation with lots of log to the base to 2's in it.

My calculator is a Casio fx-9750G Plus.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well one could ask the same question for log of any reasonable base. I'm sure they didn't bother adding a button to allow for any log base because it's really not that much extra effort to divide by log2 in my opinion.

And when you say you have lots of log base 2's in the equation, what form do they usually come in?

[tex]log_2a+log_2b+log_2c[/tex] etc.? In this case just factorize out the [tex]\frac{1}{log2}[/tex]

or

[tex]log_2a*log_2b*log_2c[/tex], in this case factorize out [tex]\frac{1}{(log2)^3}[/tex]

It might come in handy to try simplify some things on paper first before punching it into the calculator.

If [itex]y= log_a(x)[/itex], then
[tex] x= a^y= e^{ln(a^y)}= e^{y ln(a)}[/tex]

Now take ln of both sides of that: [itex]ln(x)= y ln(a)[/itex] so
[tex]y= \frac{ln(x)}{ln(a)}[/tex].

In particular,
[tex]log_2(x)= \frac{ln(x)}{ln(2)}[/tex]

What about storing log(2) in the calculator's memory and using the memory key, perhaps that's less time consuming than hitting log and 2?

So if I have an equation which is say -0.5log0.5 - 0.5log0.5 (where the logs are to the base 2)
I would type this into my calculator as log0.5/log2 * -0.5 - log0.5/log2*0.5 = 1 ?

Is this how everyone else does it on their calculators?

Well, like I said, you should simplify on paper first. I don't know about you but I'm much more prone to making arithmetic mistakes punching things into a calculator than I would simplifying the question first on paper.

You must've given a bad example, because [tex]-0.5log_20.5 - 0.5log_20.5=-log_20.5=log_22=1[/tex] which you can see can be easily done on paper. But let's say it wasn't this easy and it wasn't immediately obvious how to simplify.

First factorize the constants: [tex]-0.5(log_20.5-log_20.5)[/tex]

Then factorize the [tex]1/log2[/tex]: [tex]\frac{-0.5}{log2}(log0.5-log0.5)[/tex]

Now, since the part in the parenthesis isn't immediately obvious to solve from our assumption that this example is harder, you can now start plugging it into the calculator.

use the property of logarithms:

[tex]
\log_{a}{c} = \frac{\log_{b}{c}}{\log_{b}{a}}
[/tex]

Proof:

Using the fundamental property of logarithms:

[tex]
a^{\log_{a}{c}} = c
[/tex]

and taking the logarithm with base [itex]b[/itex] on both sides, we get:

[tex]
\log_{b}{a^{\log_{a}{c}}} = \log_{b}{c}
[/tex]

Using the rule for logarithms of exponents, the left hand side can be transformed to:

[tex]
\log_{a}{c} \, \log_{b}{a} = \log_{b}{c}
[/tex]

which, after solving for [itex]\log_{a}{c}[/itex], yields the quoted formula. Q.E.D.

In your case you use [itex]a = 2[/itex] and for [itex]b[/itex] you use one of the standard bases for logarithms (10 or [itex]e[/itex]).

Is it just me or is it becoming a habit for PF'ers to stop reading after the first line in the OP's post and avoid reading any other responses thereon?

Yeah, it saves time! (Well, not for others of course!)

Now, my great failing is that I just can't resist putting in my oar!

1. How do I find the logarithm to the base 2 of a number?

To find the logarithm to the base 2 of a number, you can use a scientific calculator or a math software like Matlab or Wolfram Alpha. You can also use the logarithm identity log2(x) = ln(x)/ln(2) to convert the base 2 logarithm into a natural logarithm.

2. What is the value of log2(1)?

The value of log2(1) is 0. This is because any number raised to the power of 0 is equal to 1, and in logarithms, the exponent becomes the answer.

3. Can the logarithm to the base 2 of a negative number be defined?

No, the logarithm to the base 2 of a negative number is undefined. This is because raising 2 to any power cannot result in a negative number. Therefore, there is no number that can be the exponent of 2 to give a negative number.

4. What is the relationship between log2(x) and log2(1/x)?

The relationship between log2(x) and log2(1/x) is that they are inverse functions of each other. This means that the result of log2(1/x) is the inverse of log2(x). In other words, log2(1/x) is the same as -log2(x).

5. How can I use the properties of logarithms to simplify log2(8x3)?

You can use the product rule of logarithms, which states that logb(xy) = logb(x) + logb(y). Therefore, log2(8x3) can be simplified to log2(8) + log2(x3). Then, using the power rule of logarithms, log2(x3) can be further simplified to 3log2(x). The final answer is log2(8) + 3log2(x).