Centripetal Force Homework: Find Car Speed to Lose Contact w/ Road

In summary: PS.: I'm not sure, if I interpret your drawing correctly, but just to be sure: The centripetal force is the real one due to the real friction. The centrifugal force is felt only due to the inertia of the car, which is deviated from its linear...In summary, the car will lose contact with the road if there is no friction and the centrifugal force is greater than the centripetal force.
Tommie Robinson

Homework Statement

Find the speed at which a car of mass M will lose contact with the frictionless road
axVS25b.png

Homework Equations

Centripetal/Centrifugal forces (maybe?)

The Attempt at a Solution

I used OneNote to attempt this problem[/B]
https://onenote.com/webapp/pages?to...0EkvVRJz3ZRVraisuhYOUH0&id=636551577043927699
upload_2018-2-25_8-8-21.png

Attachments

• axVS25b.png
    axVS25b.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 639
  • upload_2018-2-25_8-8-21.png
    upload_2018-2-25_8-8-21.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 314
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tommie Robinson said:
Find the speed at which a car of mass M will lose contact with the frictionless road

If there would be no friction between the road and the car (##\mu=0##), what force should keep the car on the curved path?

stockzahn said:
If there would be no friction between the road and the car (##\mu=0##), what force should keep the car on the curved path?
Centripetal force right? I was thinking that if the centrifugal force was bigger than the centripetal the car would veer off. Or is that incorrect, because centrifugal is fictitious?

Tommie Robinson said:
I was thinking that if the centrifugal force was bigger than the centripetal the car would veer off.

That's correct, but without friction, where should the centripetal force come from?

Attachments

• CarFriction_01.jpg
    CarFriction_01.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 353
stockzahn said:
That's correct, but without friction, where should the centripetal force come from?

Looking at the image...I know that gravity is a type of centripetal force but what role does it play on car roads? I thought that velocity played a bigger part because the centripetal force is keeping the velocity circular

Tommie Robinson said:
Looking at the image...I know that gravity is a type of centripetal force but what role does it play on car roads? I thought that velocity played a bigger part because the centripetal force is keeping the velocity circular

In the picture I posted, I just wanted to draw all acting forces (by neglecting the drag/air resistance). There is no force acting against the centrifugal force. Therefore the question must be different than you posted it or the answer is: At any velocity ##\neq 0##.

stockzahn said:
In the picture I posted, I just wanted to draw all acting forces (by neglecting the drag/air resistance). There is no force acting against the centrifugal force. Therefore the question must be different than you posted it or the answer is: At any velocity ##\neq 0##.
Wait I am a little confused, you meant the centripetal force right? Not centrifugal? And I thought that centripetal forces had to come with a centrifugal, is that not the case? Is it because there is no friction? So regardless of the speed, since there is no friction, the car will just slide towards the center?

Tommie Robinson said:
Wait I am a little confused, you meant the centripetal force right? Not centrifugal? And I thought that centripetal forces had to come with a centrifugal, is that not the case? Is it because there is no friction? So regardless of the speed, since there is no friction, the car will just slide towards the center?

You are right, the two forces have to come together, where the centripetal force is a real force and the centrifugal force is a fictitious or pseudo force. So without friction, there is no centripetal force to deviate the car from the straight path - and since there is no centripetal force, the car's driver does not feel any centrifugal force as well.

And yes, if there is no friction the driver is not able to follow any curve, as "flat" as it could be. However, I propose the following: For a dry street the coefficient of friction is about ##\mu=0.7##. What would be in this case the maximal velocity to keep the car on the curved path, assuming the radius of the curve is 100 m?

stockzahn said:
You are right, the two forces have to come together, where the centripetal force is a real force and the centrifugal force is a fictitious or pseudo force. So without friction, there is no centripetal force to deviate the car from the straight path - and since there is no centripetal force, the car's driver does not feel any centrifugal force as well.

And yes, if there is no friction the driver is not able to follow any curve, as "flat" as it could be. However, I propose the following: For a dry street the coefficient of friction is about ##\mu=0.7##. What would be in this case the maximal velocity to keep the car on the curved path, assuming the radius of the curve is 100 m?
99v39qO.png

Thank you for giving me extra practice and help! Notice where I put the centrifugal (basically equal to friction), is that okay to do?

Attachments

• 99v39qO.png
    99v39qO.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 677
Likes stockzahn
Tommie Robinson said:
View attachment 221042
Thank you for giving me extra practice and help! Notice where I put the centrifugal (basically equal to friction), is that okay to do?

Thank you for taking it and well done!

Likes Tommie Robinson
Tommie Robinson said:
View attachment 221042
Notice where I put the centrifugal (basically equal to friction), is that okay to do?

PS.: I'm not sure, if I interpret your drawing correctly, but just to be sure: The centripetal force is the real one due to the real friction. The centrifugal force is felt only due to the inertia of the car, which is deviated from its linear and constant motion.

Likes Tommie Robinson
The drawing in the OP is unclear... Is the car going around a bend or over a hill?

CWatters said:
The drawing in the OP is unclear... Is the car going around a bend or over a hill?
Sorry, it's around a bend

Tommie Robinson said:
OP's initial post #1 says the road is frictionless and the figure posted on onedot.com shows a banked road. It looks like the offered solutions and assistance are off the mark.

Likes haruspex
kuruman said:
OP's initial post #1 says the road is frictionless and the figure posted on onedot.com shows a banked road. It looks like the offered solutions and assistance are off the mark.
Quite so.
I also note that if the road is frictionless there is only one speed at which it will stay on the road.

Tommie Robinson said:
I thought that centripetal forces had to come with a centrifugal,
Not exactly. You have to choose your reference frame.

If you choose an inertial frame, e.g. a fixed point and direction in space, then there is no centrifugal force. No centripetal force "acts" either, i.e. it is not an applied force. Centripetal force is that component of the net applied force which is orthogonal to the velocity.
In the present case, the applied forces are only gravity and the normal force. Since both of these are orthogonal to the velocity their resultant is also normal to it, so their resultant constitutes the centripetal force.
For the vehicle to stay on the road, you need this resultant to be horizontal and of the right magnitude to produce the circular motion of the right radius, i.e. an acceleration of v2/r.

If you take the reference frame of the car then that frame is rotating, so non-inertial. By definition, the car is not accelerating in this frame, so there is no centripetal force. Instead, to explain the fact that the car is not accelerating despite the unbalanced forces it experiences one has to invent the fictitious centrifugal force.

If you do the algebra, you find that the centrifugal force in the one view is equal and opposite to the centripetal force in the other view.

kuruman said:
I can't open the onenote link in the OP or the onedot link above.

Problem makes a lot more sense if it's a banked track. Try making a drawing of the rear view of the car half way around the bend and mark on it the forces.
Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is a type of force that acts on an object moving in a circular motion, pulling it towards the center of the circle. It is responsible for keeping the object moving in a curved path instead of moving in a straight line.

2. How is centripetal force related to car speed?

The centripetal force acting on a car is dependent on its speed. As the car's speed increases, the centripetal force required to keep it in a circular motion also increases. If the centripetal force is not sufficient, the car will lose contact with the road and start moving in a straight line.

3. How do you calculate the required car speed to lose contact with the road?

To calculate the required car speed to lose contact with the road, you need to know the radius of the circular path and the coefficient of friction between the car's tires and the road surface. The formula is v = √(rgμ), where v is the required car speed, r is the radius of the circular path, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and μ is the coefficient of friction.

4. What is the significance of the coefficient of friction in this calculation?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the grip or traction between the car's tires and the road surface. It is an essential factor in determining the maximum safe speed for a car to take a turn without losing contact with the road. A higher coefficient of friction means the car can take the turn at a higher speed without slipping.

5. How can knowing the required car speed to lose contact with the road be useful?

Knowing the required car speed to lose contact with the road can help drivers understand the limits of their vehicle and make informed decisions while driving. It can also aid in designing safer roads and setting speed limits to prevent accidents due to loss of control on curved paths.