How do I draw tangents to find instantaneous velocity and acceleration?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter F.B
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Physics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
F.B
Messages
81
Reaction score
0
I just started Gr.12 physics and I am sort of lost. Does anyone know a site where i can learn perfectly how to draw tangents of curves to determine instantaneous velocity or acceleration or even speed. I really need to learn this stuff.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Drawing tangents to curves? Here' a method I learned in high school- take a small pocket mirror and line it up approximately perpendicular to the curve. Turn it slightly until the reflection of the curve in the mirror appears to smoothly continue it. Now the mirror really is accurately perpendicular to the curve at that point. Now you can turn and use the mirror in the same way to draw a perpendicular to that new line at the same point. This second line will be tangent to the curve.