How do I evaluate [x, SinPx] commutator

• Thread starter sudipmaity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Commutator
In summary, the problem is to evaluate [x, SinPx] given [x, Px]=ih. The solution involves using the Taylor series for the sine function and proving the identity [x, Pn]=niħPn-1. By expanding SinPx in a Taylor series and using this identity, it is shown that [x, SinPx]=iħcos(Px).
sudipmaity

Homework Statement

Evaluate [x, SinPx] given [x, Px]=ih

Homework Equations

Px = h/I( d/dx)

The Attempt at a Solution

Let f (x) be a function of x.[ x, Sin Px ] f( x) ⇒ [ x sin{( h / i )d / dx} f ( x ) -Sin { (h/i) d / dx } x f(x)] . Does anybody concur .

Physics news on Phys.org
What you wrote is correct, but it does not answer the problem.

What is the answer?

sudipmaity said:
What is the answer?
I won't tell you that directly. You should start by looking at the Taylor series for the sine function.

after a strenous ordeal Of 48 hr and heated debate with my pals and two sleepless nights, here is what I have come up with.we know in position space momentum oprtr is given -ih d/dx.what would be the opposite.what if I had acess to a position operator in momentum space.lets say x = ih d/dPx.then what happens.
This is what happens :[x , sinPx]f (Px)= [ ih (d / dPx) , sin Px ]f (Px) = ih [ d /dx ( fSin Px )-sin Px d/dx( f )] =
ih [ cos Px f(Px) + sinPx f' (Px)-sin Pxf' (Px) ] = ih cos Px f(Px) . Thrfr [ x, sin Px ] = ih Cos Px
does Anybody agree ??

Last edited:
sudipmaity said:
after a strenous ordeal Of 48 hr and heated debate with my pals and two sleepless nights, here is what I have come up with.we know in position space momentum oprtr is given -ih d/dx.what would be the opposite.what if I had acess to a position operator in momentum space.lets say x = ih d/dPx.then what happens.
This is what happens :[x , sinPx]f (x)= [ ih (d / dPx) , sin Px ]f (x) = ih [ d /dx ( fSin Px )-sin Px d/dx( f )] =
ih [ cos Px f(x) + sinPx f' (x)-sin Pxf' (x) ] = ih cos Px f(x) . Thrfr [ x, sin Px ] = ih Cos Px
does Anybody agree ??
There are a few typos along the way (##d/dx## instead of ##d/dP_x##), but it seems ok. You should also try using the Taylor series for the sine. You should find that
$$
\sin \left(\frac{\hbar}{i} \frac{d}{dx} \right) x = x \sin \left(\frac{\hbar}{i} \frac{d}{dx} \right) + \frac{\hbar}{i} \cos \left(\frac{\hbar}{i} \frac{d}{dx} \right)
$$
which leads you to the same answer.

I know.I did it that way earlier infact. But this method is more compact and satisfying as it doesn't involves any approximation.You can google out POSITION OPERATOR IN MOMENTUM SPACE.there are very good articles out there upon this.as i am a beginner today I am very happy when I came to know about this concept.

sudipmaity said:
I know.I did it that way earlier infact. But this method is more compact and satisfying as it doesn't involves any approximation.
The method I used is not approximate. You never truncate the Taylor series, you let it go to infinity, although you do not need to calculate all the terms, as the pattern is easily identifiable. It is more general, as the momentum space approach only worked because the differential operator wasn't in a function anymore. What if you had to calculate ##[ \cos(x), \sin(P_x)]##? You will also encounter things such as the exponential of operators, and the only correct way to express them is through their Taylor series.

Thanks for the insight.

You first need to prove [x , pn] = niħpn-1.
In order to do that take arbitrary values of n=1, 2, 3 and check.
You'll see for n=1 [x , p] = iħ result holds (as it is given and also we know)
for n=2 [x , p] = p[x , p] +[x , p]p = piħ +ipħ = 2ipħ = 2iħp2-1 again result holds
Similarly you can show for n=3 with the help of first two.
Now, assume for n=k this will hold i.e. [x , pk] = kiħpk-1
then show for n=k+1 and you will find [x , pk+1] = [x , pk]p + pk[x , p] = kihpk-1p + pkih
= kiħpk + kiħpk = (k+1)iħpk = (k+1)iħp(k+1)-1 again holds.
So, [x , pn] = niħpn-1 (PROVED)
Now, to evaluate [x , sin(p)], first expand sin(p) in taylor series.
You'll get sin(p) = p - (p3)/3! + (p5)/5! - ...
Put this in [x , sin(p)]
You'll get [x , sin(p)] = [x , p - (p3)/3! + (p5)/5! - ...]
= [x , p] - (1/3!)[x , p3] + (1/5!)[x , p5] - ...
= iħ - (1/3!)3iħp2 + (1/5!)5iħp4 - ...
= iħ [1 - p2/2! + p4/4! - ...]
= iħ cos(p)
∴ [x , sin(p)] = iħ cos(p)
And this is how you may do it.

dipanshum said:
You first need to prove [x , pn] = niħpn-1.
In order to do that take arbitrary values of n=1, 2, 3 and check.
You'll see for n=1 [x , p] = iħ result holds (as it is given and also we know)
for n=2 [x , p] = p[x , p] +[x , p]p = piħ +ipħ = 2ipħ = 2iħp2-1 again result holds
Similarly you can show for n=3 with the help of first two.
Now, assume for n=k this will hold i.e. [x , pk] = kiħpk-1
then show for n=k+1 and you will find [x , pk+1] = [x , pk]p + pk[x , p] = kihpk-1p + pkih
= kiħpk + kiħpk = (k+1)iħpk = (k+1)iħp(k+1)-1 again holds.
So, [x , pn] = niħpn-1 (PROVED)
Now, to evaluate [x , sin(p)], first expand sin(p) in taylor series.
You'll get sin(p) = p - (p3)/3! + (p5)/5! - ...
Put this in [x , sin(p)]
You'll get [x , sin(p)] = [x , p - (p3)/3! + (p5)/5! - ...]
= [x , p] - (1/3!)[x , p3] + (1/5!)[x , p5] - ...
= iħ - (1/3!)3iħp2 + (1/5!)5iħp4 - ...
= iħ [1 - p2/2! + p4/4! - ...]
= iħ cos(p)
∴ [x , sin(p)] = iħ cos(p)
And this is how you may do it.

Note that the previous posts are 6 years old.

1. How do I evaluate the commutator between x and SinPx?

The commutator between two operators, A and B, is defined as [A, B] = AB - BA. In this case, x and SinPx are operators, so the commutator is [x, SinPx] = xSinPx - SinPxx. To evaluate this, you can use the product rule for operators: [A, BC] = [A, B]C + B[A, C]. Applying this to our commutator, we get [x, SinPx] = xSinPx - SinPxx = x(SinPx) + (SinPx)x = xSinPx + SinPx.

2. What is the physical significance of the commutator between x and SinPx?

The commutator between two operators is related to the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics. If the commutator of two operators, A and B, is non-zero, then the two operators do not commute and their corresponding physical observables cannot be measured simultaneously with arbitrary precision. In this case, the commutator between x and SinPx is non-zero, meaning that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be known with absolute certainty at the same time.

3. How can I use the commutator between x and SinPx to calculate the uncertainty in position and momentum?

The uncertainty in position and momentum can be calculated using the commutator as ΔxΔp ≥ ħ/2, where Δx is the uncertainty in position, Δp is the uncertainty in momentum, and ħ is the reduced Planck's constant. In this case, the commutator between x and SinPx is [x, SinPx] = xSinPx + SinPx, so the uncertainty in position and momentum is given by ΔxΔp = ħ/2.

4. Can the commutator between x and SinPx be simplified further?

Yes, the commutator can be simplified further by using the properties of operators. In this case, we can use the identity [A, BC] = B[A, C] + [A, B]C and the fact that x and SinPx are Hermitian operators (meaning they are equal to their own Hermitian adjoint) to simplify the commutator as [x, SinPx] = xSinPx - SinPxx = xSinPx + SinPx = (x + 1)SinPx.

5. Is the commutator between x and SinPx always non-zero?

No, the commutator between two operators can be zero in certain cases. If the two operators commute, meaning their commutator is equal to zero, then their corresponding physical observables can be measured simultaneously with arbitrary precision. In this case, if x and SinPx are both multiples of the identity operator, then their commutator [x, SinPx] will be equal to zero.