How do I evaluate <x^2> for a Gaussian function?

In summary, the homework statement is to evaluate the expectation value of x^2 for a Gaussian distribution. Integrating by parts yields -\sqrt{\pi/a} for the answer.
BucketOfFish

Homework Statement

For some Gaussian distribution, let's say [itex]e^{-x^2}[/itex] times a constant, I want to find the expectation value of [itex]x^2[/itex]. In other words, I want to evaluate:

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty} e^{-x^2}x^2dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

Integration by parts:

[tex]\int udv = uv - \int vdu[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried a few things actually, but none of them got anywhere. One of the routes I attempted was u-substitution followed by integration by parts. First, since the function is even, you set it equal to:

[tex]2\int^{\infty}_{0} e^{-x^2}x^2dx[/tex]

Letting [itex]a = x^2, da = 2xdx[/itex], we get:

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{0} e^{-a}\sqrt{a}da[/tex]

Then, letting [itex]u = \sqrt{a}, dv = e^{-a}da, du = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{a}}da, v = -e^{-a}[/itex]:

[tex]\int e^{-a}\sqrt{a}da = -\sqrt{a}e^{-a} + \int e^{-a}\frac{1}{2\sqrt{a}}da[/tex]

And here I get stuck. Anybody have hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about [itex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty} e^{- a x^2} dx[/itex]. You can work that out, right? Now what is d/da of that when a=1?

Nice hint.

Ok, so I think I've got it. Basically, you take:

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty} -\frac{de^{-ax^2}}{da}dx[/tex]

Then since x and a are independent of each other, you can bring the d/da outside the integral:

[tex]\frac{d}{da}\int^{-\infty}_{\infty} e^{-ax^2}dx[/tex]

Then you do that integral to get [itex]-\sqrt{\pi/a}[/itex], and after taking the derivative with respect to a, you get [itex]\frac{\sqrt{\pi}a^{-3/2}}{2}[/itex]. Plugging in a=1, you end up with [itex]\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2}[/itex] for your final answer.

I didn't offend any mathematicians with egregiously bad calculus, did I?

Last edited:
Maybe. But even physicists would be offended because the sign is obviously wrong. x^2*exp(-x^2) is a positive function. How can its integral be negative?

Yep, I realized my terrible error and fixed it. Does it look alright now?

The answer is right. I'm not sure you've put the sign correction in the right place everywhere. But I'm sure you can fix it.

1. How do I evaluate for a Gaussian function?

To evaluate for a Gaussian function, you need to first understand the formula for a Gaussian function. It is given by f(x) = a*e^((-1/2)((x-b)/c)^2), where a, b, and c are constants. To find for this function, you need to square the value of x and multiply it by the constant a.

2. What is the significance of in a Gaussian function?

represents the expected value or mean of the squared deviations from the mean of a Gaussian distribution. In other words, it gives an idea of the spread or variability of the data around the mean. A higher value of indicates a wider distribution, while a lower value indicates a narrower distribution.

3. Can I use a calculator to evaluate for a Gaussian function?

Yes, you can use a calculator to evaluate for a Gaussian function. Most scientific calculators have the capability to perform calculations involving exponents and constants. Make sure to input the correct values for a, b, and c to get an accurate result.

4. How does the value of a affect in a Gaussian function?

The value of a in a Gaussian function affects the overall height of the curve. However, it does not have a direct impact on the value of . To find , you need to consider the values of b and c, which determine the shape and spread of the curve.

5. Is there a specific method to evaluate for a Gaussian function?

There is no specific method to evaluate for a Gaussian function, but it can be calculated using the formula mentioned in question 1. It is important to note that this formula is only applicable for continuous Gaussian functions and may not give accurate results for discrete or bimodal distributions.