1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I find mass in this equation?

Tags:
  1. Jan 8, 2017 #1
    • Some links deleted
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A child’s toy that is made to shoot ping pong balls consists of a tube, a spring (k = 18 N/m) and a catch for the spring that can be released to shoot the balls. When a ball is loaded into the tube, it compresses the spring 9.5 cm. If you shoot a ping pong ball straight up out of this toy, how high will it go?

2. Relevant equations
    I know how to solve this... one thing gets in my way: the mass. The solution says it's .0027 but I hardly find that plausible.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used f=kx and f = mg so mg=kx and m(9.81) = (18*.095m)
    My answer is like .17 not .0027.. any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2017 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The problem does not ask for you to find the mass of the ping pong ball, it asks for you to find the height achieved by said ball. The problem statement should have provided the mass of the ping pong ball. Without it you cannot solve the problem.

With missing data it is often possible to resort to a web search. If you google for the mass of a ping pong ball you'll find that the mass of a so-called official ping pong ball is 2.7 grams, or 0.0027 kg.

4. Jan 8, 2017 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The solution says what is .0027? From gneill's post, i'm guessing it says that's the mass (in kg).
    What circumstance corresponds to equating those two forces? Think about it.

5. Jan 8, 2017 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The problem text is wrong. It can not be the ball that compresses the spring by 9.5 cm. If the ball is compressed by the ball alone, the ball would never shot up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted