1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I find the antiderivative of(12e^2x-5)

1. Apr 26, 2007 #1
    How do I find the antiderivative of
    (12e^2x-5)
    My attempt:
    u=2x-5
    u'=2
    12u^u x 2
    24e^2x-5
    What do I do next?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2007 #2
    You started right, u = 2x-5, du = 2 dx. I'm not sure what you're trying to do in the next step. What you should try to do is 6du = 12 dx because you want to match the 12 in your original equation. With these subsitutions your new integrand is 6e^u.

4. Apr 26, 2007 #3

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Okay, the first step is correct.
    We let u = 2x - 5
    Then we find the differential of u, [tex]du = 2 dx \Rightarrow dx = \frac{du}{2}[/tex], now, with the substitution above, we'll change every x's in the expression into our newly-defined variable u:

[tex]\int 12 e ^ {2x - 5} dx = 12 \int e ^ u \left( \frac{du}{2} \right) = 6 \int e ^ u du = ...[/tex]
    Can you go from here? After having its anti-derivative in terms of u, we should change u back to x, and complete the problem.
    Is it clear? :)

5. Apr 26, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It would be better to write 12e^(2x-5)dx. Including that "dx" reminds you that you need to replace IT as well. If u= 2x+5, then, yes, u'= 2 so du= 2dx.
    You can either think "break that 12 into 6* 2 so 6e^(2x-5) (2dx) becomes 6e^u du" or write dx= (1/2) du so 6e^(2x-5)dx becomes 12e^u ((1/2)du)= 6e^u du again.

I suspect you were thinking of the chain rule when you multiplied by 2. That applies to differentiation. The anti-derivative is the opposite of the derivative so you divide by 2 rather than multiplying.

By the way- notice my use of parentheses. e^(2x-5) is NOT the same as e^2x- 5. Most people would interpret that latter as (e^(2x))- 5 and some might even interpret it as x(e^2)- 5. Use all the parentheses you need to make your meaning clear.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?