Can I Use Antiderivatives to Evaluate this Complex Integral?

In summary, the student is trying to solve an integral using the real and imaginary parts, but is unsure of how to do it. He suggests using a substitution, but notes that this would make the problem harder. He also suggests using integration by parts, but notes that this would also make the problem harder. The student then suggests using the antiderivative, which seems to work fine.
Macykc2

Homework Statement

I need to evaluate the following integral using the antiderivative:
$$\int log^2(z) \, dz$$
I don't know how to make a subscript for the integral sign, there should be a "c" on the bottom part. C is any contour from ##π## to ##i##, not crossing the non-positive x-axis.

Homework Equations

Given above

The Attempt at a Solution

The only thing I can think of is to do a substitution, such as u=logz, like in the real case but I haven't officially learned if that's possible so I don't know if I can do it, nor if I even have to. And it specifically says to use the antiderivative so I can't parameterize.

Likes sunnnystrong
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try integration by parts?

Likes FactChecker and sunnnystrong
Integration by parts...
u = (log(x))^2
dv = 1dx

sunnnystrong said:
Integration by parts...
u = (log(x))^2
dv = 1dx
If I understand that post correctly, that will make it worse. There is a better choice of the two parts.

mfb said:
If I understand that post correctly, that will make it worse. There is a better choice of the two parts.

well, i don't want to post the solution but if you use u = log^2(x) than it will reduce the power on the log by 1 and leave you with an easier problem to integrate :)

Likes FactChecker
sunnnystrong said:
well, i don't want to post the solution but if you use u = log^2(x) than it will reduce the power on the log by 1 and leave you with an easier problem to integrate :)
It works out fine with u=ln(z) and v'=ln(z), but you are right that your way is easier.

Likes sunnnystrong
Oh wait, for post 4 I was imagining logs in the denominator for some reason.
Ignore post 4, both approaches work and the one from sunnnystrong is easier.

Likes sunnnystrong
Macykc2 said:

Homework Statement

I need to evaluate the following integral using the antiderivative:
$$\int log^2(z) \, dz$$
I don't know how to make a subscript for the integral sign, there should be a "c" on the bottom part. C is any contour from ##π## to ##i##, not crossing the non-positive x-axis.

Homework Equations

Given above

The Attempt at a Solution

The only thing I can think of is to do a substitution, such as u=logz, like in the real case but I haven't officially learned if that's possible so I don't know if I can do it, nor if I even have to. And it specifically says to use the antiderivative so I can't parameterize.

You just put a '_C' next to your int instruction, to get ##\int_C \log^2 (z) \, dz##. Right-click on the formula and ask for a display of math as tex commands, to see how it is done.

As for using antiderivatives: see, eg.,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiderivative_(complex_analysis).

1. What is a complex integration problem?

A complex integration problem involves finding the integral (or area under the curve) of a function that is defined in the complex plane. This means that the function has both real and imaginary parts, and the integration must be performed over a complex region.

2. What makes complex integration problems challenging?

Complex integration problems can be challenging because the rules for integration in the complex plane are different from those in the real plane. In addition, the complex plane introduces new concepts such as branch cuts and singularities, which must be carefully considered when solving these problems.

3. What techniques are used to solve complex integration problems?

Some commonly used techniques for solving complex integration problems include contour integration, Cauchy's integral theorem, and the residue theorem. These techniques involve manipulating the complex function and its contour in order to simplify the integration.

4. How is complex integration used in science?

Complex integration is used in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is particularly useful in solving problems involving electric fields, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. It also has applications in signal processing, image processing, and control systems.

5. Are there any real-life examples of complex integration problems?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of complex integration problems. One example is calculating the electric potential at a point due to a charged wire or plate, which involves integrating a complex function over a contour. Another example is calculating the flow of a fluid around a cylinder, which can be solved using complex integration techniques.