How do I find the center of mass using polar coordinates?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter vadar
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Polar
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
vadar
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Help! I've been trying to do this for ages, but i know there's some silly little thing I am doing wrong!
Problem, Find the center of mass of a constant density semicircular plate of radius a, using polar co-ordinates, what regions do i use for the double intergral with respect to r and θ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The angle [tex]\theta[/tex] from 0 to [tex]\pi[/tex], and the radius from 0 to a.

The dA part of the double integration becomes [tex]r dr d \theta[/tex]

You assume uniform density, so you just intgrating [tex]r\cos\theta[/tex] and [tex]r\sin\theta[/tex] to get the coordinates to the centre of mass.