1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I find the normal force?

1. Feb 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let's say I'm holding a crate up against the ceiling with a force of 'P', and the crate is stationary.
    What is the normal force?

2. Relevant equations

Newton's 1st law: ƩF=0

3. The attempt at a solution

I have three forces acting on the crate - The normal force, the gravitational force, and the applied force.

According to Newton's first law, Fg+Fn+Fa=0

Thus, Fn=-Fg-Fa

Since Fg pulls down Fg=-mg
    Since Fa pushes up, Fa=P

Thus, Fn=mg-P

However, my book says Fn=P-mg. What am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2013 #2
    Fn is pushing downward, so its sign in your force balance equation should be negative.

4. Feb 25, 2013 #3
    Why is it I only apply this negative to the normal force? If a downward force is negative, then Fg should be negative too, and

-Fg-Fn+Fa=0

Fn=Fa-Fg=P+mg

Which still isn't the right answer :/

5. Feb 25, 2013 #4
    I made a force table that I can use to analyze the component of each force and the net force that results.

Force - y-component
    Fg:____-mg
    Fa:____+P
    Fn:____mg-P?

Adding the entries in this table, it seems obvious that the normal force must equal mg-P. Otherwise, the sum of this table wouldn't be zero.

6. Feb 25, 2013 #5
    OK. Here's my version of it, where the positive direction of force is in the upward direction:

Fa-mg-Fn=0

This gives Fn=P-mg

In these equations Fn stands only for the magnitude of the normal force. The direction of the normal force is downward.

7. Feb 25, 2013 #6

tms

It will be easier to set up the forces so that they are all positive, and you deal with direction explicitly with the signs. Since [itex]F_n[/itex] and [itex]F_g[/itex] are both down, and [itex]F_a[/itex] is up, you should write
    [tex]-F_g - F_n + F_a = 0.[/tex]
    From which the book's answer comes. Your answer is correct, too, but the value of [itex]F_n[/itex] is then negative.

Edit: Oops, someone beat me to it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted