How do I find the other corners of this square?

  • Thread starter Thread starter I dun get it
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Square
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
17 replies · 3K views
I dun get it
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
[PLAIN]http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/6686/wtfhalp.jpg

How do I work out points B and D with only points A and C given? B and D have the same z-coordinates. I worked out the red vector, but have no idea what to do from there.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about the intersection of the diagonals?

ehild
 
They're perpendicular. I don't know how the dot product can help in this situation.
 
I mean the point of intersection. Can you calculate its coordinates?

ehild
 
I would assume the point of intersection is half of AC which is (5.53615,-13.13056,4.176025)
 
And also half of DB, isn't it?

ehild
 
Yes, but how do I go about finding the coordinates of D and B with it?
 
The intersection of the diagonals is a point of the line DB. Both D and B have the same z coordinates, what is this coordinate?
I you know the z coordinate of B, you can find two more equations to find the x and y coordinates.
You know how far B is from the centre... you know that the diagonals are normal to each other. And both D and B are at equal distance from A and C...or the vectors AC and AB enclose a 45° angle ... ehild
 
So I use pythagoras to find the length of AB and from there use the dot product to find the coordinates of B?
 
Go ahead. Let me see what you do.

ehild
 
Try what? I'm not sure what to do to get the equations for the x and y coordinates.
 
Diagonals of a square are congruent, and they intersect at their midpoints. You can Pythagoras' from there.
 
I got the length, but how do I get the x and y coordinates of AB with it? Using the dot product doesn't really help.
 
Use the distance formula again. You have the coordinates of A, the length of AB, so you should be able to find the coordinates of B.
 
[PLAIN]http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/2650/62843747.jpg

That's all I can do. How do I use those distances to find x and y? I know to use pythagoras, but what am I using for a, b and c?
 
Last edited by a moderator: