Potential energy as a function of the square of this angle

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Tony Hau
Messages
107
Reaction score
30
Homework Statement
Define the angle measured from the vertical to the line connecting the center of the
circle and the contact point of cube to the circle as 𝜃. Expand the potential energy as
a function of 𝜃 to the second order; i.e. 𝜃^2, around its stable equilibrium for 𝑅 = 𝑏.
Relevant Equations
U(𝜃) = mgh(𝜃) = mg[(R+b/2)cos𝜃 +R𝜃sin𝜃]
The problem of my question is the b part below:
1585890029251.png

I know that the potential energy is just the gravitational potential energy, which is mgh(𝜃) = mg[(R+b/2)cos𝜃 +R𝜃sin𝜃], derived from the geometry. The equilibrium point is at 𝜃=0 and the system is a stable equilibrium for R>b/2. However, I have no idea how I can convert the potential energy as a function of the square of 𝜃, as stated by the question.
 
Attachments
  • 1585890074811.png
    1585890074811.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 254
Physics news on Phys.org
Do Taylor expansion of
[tex]\cos\theta[/tex] and [tex]\theta \sin \theta[/tex]
in ##U(\theta)## up to ##\theta^2##.
 
mitochan said:
Do Taylor expansion of
[tex]\cos\theta[/tex] and [tex]\theta \sin \theta[/tex]
in ##U(\theta)## up to ##\theta^2##.
Thanks. It sounds reasonable! Here is the answer of the question. I am thinking why this method also works. Basically I don't quite get the logic behind. I know that the first order derivative of U is force. But I don't understand what 1/2 of the second order derivative represents.
1585900387935.png
 
Here is my solution for the two methods. They are inconsistent.
 
Attachments
  • 2020-04-03 16.44.03.jpg
    2020-04-03 16.44.03.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 271
The both coincide in the exact calculation. Please try again.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Tony Hau