How do I find the speed of this train?

In summary, the formula for calculating speed is distance divided by time. The distance traveled by a train can be measured using a measuring tape, ruler, or GPS tracking. The time it takes for the train to travel a certain distance can be determined using a stopwatch or train schedule. The speedometer on the train can also be used to calculate its speed, but accuracy and calibration are important. To account for factors such as acceleration and deceleration, a formula that considers initial and final speeds and time can be used.
jesseeeeee

Homework Statement

Two train whistles have an identical frequency of 246 Hz. Train A is motionless in the station and sounds its whistle. Meanwhile, Train B is pulling into the station and sounds its whistle. The conductor of Train B hears 5.39 beats every second. How fast is Train B moving? The speed of sound is 340 m/s.

Homework Equations

f' = f (v+0 / v-vs)

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Please show an honest attempt at the problem ... what are the main physical principle and effect that is in play here?

1. What is the formula for calculating speed?

The formula for calculating speed is distance divided by time (speed = distance / time).

2. How do I measure the distance traveled by the train?

The distance can be measured by using a measuring tape or a ruler to measure the length of the train's route or by using GPS tracking to calculate the distance traveled.

3. How do I determine the time it takes for the train to travel a certain distance?

The time can be determined by using a stopwatch to measure the time it takes for the train to travel a specific distance or by looking at the train schedule.

4. Can I use the speedometer on the train to calculate its speed?

Yes, you can use the speedometer on the train to calculate its speed. However, it is important to make sure the speedometer is accurate and calibrated correctly.

5. How do I account for factors such as acceleration and deceleration in calculating the speed of the train?

To account for acceleration and deceleration, you can use a formula that takes into account the initial and final speeds of the train, as well as the time it takes to accelerate or decelerate.