How do i find this statistics answer

• Thread starter Biochemgirl2002
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary, the conversation discusses a calculation involving the binomial distribution and finding the probability that more than 2 people did not use Google. The correct calculation is 1 - (2 or fewer did not use Google), which comes out to be about 0.891. The conversation also mentions the use of tables and calculators to check the results. The variables used are p = 0.76 and q = 0.24.
Biochemgirl2002
Homework Statement
According to a report of the Nielson Company, 76% of Internet searches used Google
search engine. If 20 searches are randomly selected, find the probability that
more than 2 did not use Google.
Relevant Equations
nCr*0.76^n*0.24^r
i believe that the solution is to do 1- (less than 2 did use google)

so it would look like
1-
((20!/0!20!)0.76^0*0.24^20 +
(20!/1!19!)0.76^1*0.24^19 +
(20!/2!18!)0.76^2*0.24^18)
= 0.99
but logically, this does not make sense to be .99.
what am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
How are you doing the arithmetic? It's difficult to get good answers in a calculation that involves quantities like ##0.24^{20}## unless you keep a lot of digits in the calculations.

To check your result, you can consult tables of the binomial distribution online. For example, the table for n = 20 given by http://www.sjsu.edu/people/saul.cohn/courses/stats/s0/BinomialProbabTable.pdf gives results for p = 0.20 and p = 0.25.
You can look at the values for 18,19 and 20 successes to get an idea of what should happen for p = 0.24.

Edit: There is this "binomial calculator" webpage https://www.anesi.com/binomial.htm?p=0.24&n=20
It displays a table if you select the "show full data table" option. (Of course, I haven't tried to check its answers.)

Last edited:
Stephen Tashi said:
How are you doing the arithmetic? It's difficult to get good answers in a calculation that involves quantities like ##0.24^{20}## unless you keep a lot of digits in the calculations.

To check your result, you can consult tables of the binomial distribution online. For example, the table for n = 20 given by http://www.sjsu.edu/people/saul.cohn/courses/stats/s0/BinomialProbabTable.pdf gives results for p = 0.20 and p = 0.25.
You can look at the values for 18,19 and 20 successes to get an idea of what should happen for p = 0.24.

Edit: There is this "binomial calculator" webpage https://www.anesi.com/binomial.htm?p=0.24&n=20
It displays a table if you select the "show full data table" option. (Of course, I haven't tried to check its answers.)

On the table you provided me with, (the first link) the answer i got was correct with Probability of k successes or more. but i don't know if that is the right since it is asking the backwards answer for this question, since more than 2 did NOT use google, its tripping me up.

Here's your calculation in Maple:
snip.JPG

Edit, added: After looking more closely though I think you may want $$
\sum_{k=18}^{20} \binom {20} k p^k(1-p)^{20-k}$$ which comes out about ##.108##.

Last edited:
rhiana said:
find the probability that more than 2 did not use Google.
i believe that the solution is to do 1- (less than 2 did use google)

The correct way to say it would be "1 - (2 or fewer did use google)"

That's what you calculated.

[Edit: No, it should be "1 - (2 or fewer did not use google)"]

Last edited:
It's getting late and maybe I'm tired, but I think we are both wrong above, and it should be
$$\sum_{k=0}^{17} \binom {20} k p^k(1-p)^{20-k} = 1-\sum_{k=18}^{20} \binom {20} k p^k(1-p)^{20-k} $$ which is about ##.891##.

Likes PeroK
LCKurtz said:
It's getting late and maybe I'm tired, but I think we are both wrong above, and it should be
$$\sum_{k=0}^{17} \binom {20} k p^k(1-p)^{20-k} = 1-\sum_{k=18}^{20} \binom {20} k p^k(1-p)^{20-k} $$ which is about ##.891##.

alright, the p is different than any variable I've used in this course, is p always going to be 0.76? and k is reducing from 20 until 2?

Likes Stephen Tashi
As you gave and I put in the Maple worksheet ##p=.76,~ q = 1-p = .24##

LCKurtz said:
As you gave and I put in the Maple worksheet ##p=.76,~ q = 1-p = .24##
thank you so much for taking time out of your day to help me out! i appreciate it

1. How do I know which statistical test to use?

The choice of statistical test depends on the type of data you have and the research question you are trying to answer. It is important to identify the level of measurement of your variables (nominal, ordinal, interval, or ratio) and the relationship you are trying to explore (correlation, difference, or association). Consulting with a statistician or using online resources can help guide you in selecting the appropriate test.

2. Where can I find reliable data for my analysis?

There are many reputable sources for statistical data, such as government agencies, research institutes, and academic institutions. It is important to carefully evaluate the source of the data and ensure it is relevant to your research question. Online databases, such as the World Bank, UN Data, and US Census Bureau, are also useful for finding reliable data.

3. How do I interpret the results of my statistical test?

The interpretation of statistical results depends on the type of test you have conducted. Generally, you will be looking for a p-value to determine whether the results are statistically significant. This indicates the likelihood that the results are due to chance. Additionally, you should also look at the effect size, which measures the magnitude of the relationship or difference between variables.

4. What should I do if I don't understand the statistical terminology in my results?

If you are not familiar with statistical terminology, it is important to seek clarification from a statistician or consult online resources. It is crucial to have a clear understanding of the concepts and terminology used in your results to accurately interpret the findings and draw meaningful conclusions.

5. Can I use statistical software to find the answer to my research question?

Statistical software can be a helpful tool for conducting data analysis and finding answers to research questions. However, it is important to have a basic understanding of statistics and the appropriate use of the software to ensure accurate results. It is also recommended to consult with a statistician when using statistical software to ensure proper interpretation of the results.