How do I find velocity when force is not a constant?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in finding velocity when the force is not constant but a function of distance. Integrating the equation for force does not account for the mass of the object, and there may be a need to use a quotient rule for integration. It is suggested that the mass of the object is constant and that the relevant integration property can be used to calculate velocity. However, there is another issue as velocity is the integral of acceleration with respect to time, not position. The chain rule may be helpful in finding the correct equation for velocity.
DBaima22
how can i find velocity if force is not constant, but a function of distance. I tried integrating the equation for the force, but that doesn't account for the mass of the object.

the given equation for the force is F(x)=2.5-x^2, where x is distance and since F=ma I have
a=(2.5-x^2)/m.

When I tried integrating it I got velocity= -1/3x^3+2.5x which does not account for mass

Is there a quotient rule for integration?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, DBaima22 :smile:
DBaima22 said:
how can i find velocity if force is not constant, but a function of distance. I tried integrating the equation for the force, but that doesn't account for the mass of the object.

the given equation for the force is F(x)=2.5-x^2, where x is distance and since F=ma I have
a=(2.5-x^2)/m.

When I tried integrating it I got velocity= -1/3x^3+2.5x which does not account for mass

Is there a quotient rule for integration?

It's completely reasonable to assume that the mass of the object is constant. Therefore, this becomes trivial. You can use the relevant integration property, namely that if g(x) = f(x)/a where a = const. then:

[tex] \int g(x)\,dx = \int \frac{f(x)}{a}\,dx = \frac{1}{a}\int f(x)\,dx [/tex]

If something is constant (i.e. it has no dependence on the integration variable), then it can be brought outside the integral.

So, just to be clear, if acceleration is (2.5-x^2)/m. I can write velocity as
v= -1/3x^3+2.5x/mass?

DBaima22 said:
So, just to be clear, if acceleration is (2.5-x^2)/m. I can write velocity as
v= -1/3x^3+2.5x/mass?

Yes. BUT there is another problem with your solution that I only just realized (because I wasn't paying close enough attention before). You CAN'T get velocity by integrating acceleration with respect to position. Velocity is the integral of acceleration with respect to TIME. So you'll have to work a little bit harder to figure out how to get velocity. :wink: Hint: the chain rule may be of use here.

There is not a specific quotient rule for integration, but you can still use the general integration rules to solve for velocity. In this case, you will need to use the Chain Rule to account for the mass in the equation.

First, you can rewrite the equation for acceleration as a function of velocity, a(v)=(2.5-v^2)/m. Then, using the Chain Rule, you can rewrite this as a function of distance, a(x)=(2.5-(dx/dt)^2)/m.

Next, you can integrate this equation with respect to time, which will give you the velocity as a function of time. Then, you can use the relationship between velocity and distance (v=dx/dt) to rewrite the equation in terms of distance.

Alternatively, you can also use numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta method to approximate the velocity at different points along the distance axis. These methods take into account the changing force and mass to calculate the velocity at each point.

Overall, finding velocity when force is not constant and a function of distance requires using integration techniques and/or numerical methods to account for the changing force and mass.

1. How does velocity change when force is not a constant?

When force is not a constant, velocity can change in one of two ways: either the force can change direction, causing the velocity to change direction as well, or the force can change magnitude, resulting in a change in the speed of the object.

2. What is the relationship between force and velocity when force is not a constant?

In general, when force is not a constant, the relationship between force and velocity is not a simple one. However, one important concept to understand is that force is what causes an object to accelerate, or change its velocity. So, when force is not a constant, the object will either speed up or slow down depending on the direction and magnitude of the force.

3. Can velocity be calculated when force is not a constant?

Yes, velocity can still be calculated when force is not a constant. However, the calculation may be more complex and may require more information, such as the direction and magnitude of the force at different points in time.

4. How does Newton's Second Law apply when force is not a constant?

Newton's Second Law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. Even when force is not a constant, this law still applies. The only difference is that the force acting on the object may change over time, resulting in a changing acceleration and velocity.

5. What other factors besides force affect an object's velocity when force is not a constant?

In addition to force, other factors that can affect an object's velocity when force is not a constant include the object's mass and the presence of any external forces, such as friction or air resistance. These factors can impact the object's acceleration and ultimately its velocity.